Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by caveman_uk
But if your GUI requires the mouse click to do more than one thing (modifier keys) then using the keyboard to do it is a bit dumb.

This is why the one button mouse is a good thing. It pretty much requires developers to make their UIs better and not require contextual menus. Sure, they can be used for convienience, but the UI should NOT require you to press extra mouse buttons to get to basic features. There should be something on screen to preform the action. The day Apple ships 2 button mice standard is the day the advatnages of Apple's UI start to crumble, people will get in that right-click mindset and you'll have to be pushing extra buttons to get simple tasks done.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
I have to say that since i now have a 17inch i mac and i have year old pc i find that i use both about the same at present simply because I Have programs on the pc for music creation and i am missing those componets on the i mac but if i had the software for the mac id avoid the pc altogeter because its just to tempermental were as my mac is quiter seems far faster mind you its got a gig of ram sitting in it it also renders movies far far far far far faster than my pc which was supposed to be a mulit media beast more like a semi mulit media old fart who just cant cut it with the compertition ...... We did have macs at my school for a while as well as amiga's but just as i left they updated everything to windows and scraped the macs and amigas to go modern

I know one thing that Apple could do and thats drop the dam prices of some models i know they have reacently but over here in australia they seem so dam exspensive even for a simple system i know there not that exspensive but they seem it especialy for people who are not familiar with them...... thats why a lot of people choose to stay away from them costs and the look and feel of the OS Which is suppeiror to XP..

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Been considering buying a Windoze box because of speed.

Compare After Effects running on a PowerMac and a wintel box, and there's no comparison. The Windows boxes are 5 times faster. Macs get mopped. Unfortunate but true.

dkeninitz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2003
Germantown, MD
Originally posted by physicsnerd
I just switched to macs a couple of months ago, and my biggest complaint is the tracking speed of the mouse.
Physicsnerd

I've noticed the same thing with my PowerBook. When I connect an external mouse the tracking seems painfully slow compared to my Windows machines. I've got the acceleration cranked as far as it'll go in System Preferences. To a Mac devotee this may seem like a minor quibble, but it's just one more thing making the Mac experience seem slower....

dubbelhund

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
I have a 1GHz Powerbook at home and I have to use a PC at work. The only reason for me to use a PC at work is that I have to use a program called SolidWorks (3-d solid modeling/engineering software), which I wish would be ported to the Mac but which will probably never happen. The Mac OS X GUI is outstanding (everything is logical, intuitive and makes sense) while I feel that the PC (Windows 2000) insults my intelligence. I don't want some dumb ass little paperclip jumping around when I write emails (I'm not 8 years old) and I have not found a way to turn it off. Here's another typical Microsoft thing: To force certain features down the users throat whether they like it or not. Using a PC makes me feel like the people who created the GUI assume that I am an idiot. To the PC's defense I have to say that they are in general more snappier, even my 1 Ghz PB feels sluggish sometimes. Also the one-button mouse, Whats up with that? When it comes to intellgent software suites, especially the iapps (ical,ichat, itunes, iphoto, isync, back up etc) Apple ROCKS! Most PC counterparts are shocklingly bad! Not even comparable. Only Apple can make something like the Music Store the huge success that it is.

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
Been considering buying a Windoze box because of speed.

Compare After Effects running on a PowerMac and a wintel box, and there's no comparison. The Windows boxes are 5 times faster. Macs get mopped. Unfortunate but true.

Have you checked out this link?

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Originally posted by dubbelhund
I don't want some dumb ass little paperclip jumping around when I write emails (I'm not 8 years old) and I have not found a way to turn it off.

I can't rememeber all the steps to turn off the paper clip, but it can be done. Type in "kill paperclip" (it's actually called office assistant) in help, and it'll tell you how to shut it off.

hope this isn't too off topic,

Physicsnerd

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Kill Clippy!!!

Run the Office installer, do a custom install/removal, browse to Office Extras, click on Office Assistant and select do not run from this computer.

No more clippy. :)

whawho

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Columbus, OH
Originally posted by dkeninitz
I've noticed the same thing with my PowerBook. When I connect an external mouse the tracking seems painfully slow compared to my Windows machines. I've got the acceleration cranked as far as it'll go in System Preferences. To a Mac devotee this may seem like a minor quibble, but it's just one more thing making the Mac experience seem slower....

I don't know if you have tried anything off of version tracker... but there are a few haxies that can fix that... here's one:
link

Cheers,

Scott

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Originally posted by whawho
I don't know if you have tried anything off of version tracker... but there are a few haxies that can fix that... here's one:
link

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks, it works like a charm. I never thought to look and see if someone had a hack...

Thanks again,

Physicsnerd

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
A guy a worked with at pinnacle internet hated macs but chose to work on one - again because he hated macs for general use (i.e. word processing, surfing, gaming etc). He also hated pro-design apps (pshop, illustrator, flash etc) in windows environments.

I'm the opposite, i don't really like working in pro apps on my iBook (yes, it is probably because its quite slow, but then i only work at 72dpi as i design for the net) but i love it for surfing, and writing essays etc.. I'd also much rather have a mac laptop than a pc laptop:

a) they look way cooler
b) they're MUCH easer to network - wired & wirelessly
c) GPRS+bluetooth communication between my phone and iBook is, again, much easier

When i was working at pinnacle, i was using a mac (my first experiences of a mac) and i did love Photoshop 6 in OS9 and i don't really like 7 in X; i know you can run it in 9 on a dual boot new(ish) mac, buts its a lot of faff to switch OS's all the time.

Having said that, i prefer doing php on my mac as it's unix based, windows command prompt is so lame compared to the unix console (terminal)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.