Mac Value Estimator?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacAztec, Apr 30, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Does anyone know the website where you can find the value of your mac? You enter in its properties, and it gives you an estimate of its worth. Anyone?

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Mac Value Estimator?

It's called eBay. :)

Seriously, I don't know of anything where you can actually input data. The reseller sites sell old computers for way more than they're worth, so they're not a real good estimate.

Everymac,.com will tell you at the bottom of each comp spec page what the orig cost and the estimated current value is. I trust their estimates, they seem to be pretty accurate. Apple-history does the same thing, but everymac's layout is much better.

The best estimate though, is eBay. That's pure supply and demand in action, and if there's enough trading, you can usually estimate the "true" market value.

3. oddfuzz macrumors member

Big Cash

wow, my 33mhz Performa 550 from '93 is still worth $100 bucks or so according to everymac. i'm pleasantly surprised.

4. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Sorry but bull, 550's are worth $20 or less. eBay Will tell you, unless you can find some sucker to buy a iMac 333 for $400 or a 550 for $100.

5. iGav macrumors G3

A mac is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it......

Now is probably a good a time as any to sell, with new machines rumoured to be exceptionally close to being released, as soon as they are, older machines just become another generation older and worth less...... :D

Ebay is probably the best guide though of currently true worth, unless the machine is rare, in which case, the bidding sometimes goes to stupid prices... :rolleyes:

Ebay is really addictive though!! :D

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Anyone notice the number of TiBooks listed in the last few days? Everyone wants a new one!

I might try to pick up a cheap one and re sell it after the TiBook frenzy dies down.

Ever the entrepreneur...

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

eveymac says my system is worth 1100-1300!:D A 450 G4 Tower, but I've also got a bunch of custom order stuff. I think this is a little high anyway. I'll have to check ebay next.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so roughly my TiBook is worth $1700-$1900 with the specs listed on everymac.com...

what about it with a 30 gig hd? that's gotta be worth at least another $50-$75 right????
    ;)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't know how they're getting these prices. Street value is less

Check out ebay, here's an example

Quick Specs:
    667MHz PowerPC G4, 512MB RAM, 30GB hard drive, 8X8X24 CD-RW/8X DVD-ROM, 56Kbps modem, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Mac OS 9.2/OS X 10.1 and a 15.2" active-matrix display

5 days left and current high bid:

Significantly less:(

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

No, no, no, guys.

Here's what you do: You take whatever everymac.com says your computer is worth, and then subtract 50% from that. ;) (If you plan on selling it on eBay.)

eBay can't be treated like a pennysaver, unfortunately; people go to eBay for deals, not "suggested value" prices. Unless you're lucky and get a newbie bidding your comp up the ying-yang. :D

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

exactly....5 days left....anyone who knows ebay can attest that most bids don't take place till the last day or so....and if the price never goes anywhere...there's usually a reserve price...and in most cases the item won't sell...I'm not worried though... ;)

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The value listed on everymac.com is also with only 256MB of memory. Have more, add $$.

If you try to sell via ebay, then set a minimum (or whatever they call it) so that you don't get screwed. I'm holding off on going there, since I am waiting to hear back from the person at work that is interested in my current TiBook. I want to sell it this week, so that I can get the new one over the weekend.

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I disagree. Ebay is for people who like ebay. Its actually quite bad for getting deals often times. I remember when I was looking for a hard drive for my iMac, the one I wanted was going for about 200 bucks on ebay back then. I even tried to bid on it because I was under the impression ebay was where you got deals back then. I lost. And thank goodness. I found the same drive a few days later for nearly 100 dollars less with free shipping from staples. If you want good deals, shop around on the web. the stores listed on yahoo often have some really good prices for instance, and places like staples can be great with their coupon codes and free shipping. Ebay is a decent place to find hard to find items, and gets you decent deals on some things, but relying on it as a place to find bargains means you are probably overpaying most of the time.

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

My impression is that people who like eBay learn a bit about it beforehand before they go bidding on stuff. Back when I first started using eBay I didn't think to just sit back and watch the bidding trends of certain items; I just dove right in, which was a big mistake. For example, I paid $125 for a Newton MP130 which now can be found for around $40-50. There are peaks and lulls in the bidding trends. The key is to find a lull, and that's where you find the deals.

Yes, but Staples don't sell used G3's. We're talking reselling computers here.

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My point is that its worth shopping around some and its possible to find much better deals than ebay on a lot of items, whether they be computers, electronics, or anything else. particularly clearence items at stores and bundled deals that include other things you want/need. Reliance on ebay for anything is not worth it. Its just one more outlet. Shop around.