Mac version of... mirc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daily, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Daily macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll be getting my first Mac within 9 days(payday), It'll be a mac mini(not to sure which one though(suggestions?)).

I've been switching between linux and windows for a while now. Liked everthing about *nix but loathed its UI.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for an IRC client I can use. The only version I ever liked was mIRC and if anyone can suggest a close alternative that would be great!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Conversation has a decent interface, it's pretty fast, and its logging style is very convenient. It's a little weak in the plugin department, and it's a little clumsy to use when dealing with facilities like nickserv.

Colloquy is much more feature complete, but it can be seriously sluggish in channels with a lot of traffic. Its logging is pure evil.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I was, for years a user of IRCLE, and have recently switched to XCHAT AQUA because IRCLE is being a b*** with the DCC's. Unacceptable!

Check out XCHAT. It's easy to set up and use. COuld use a few minor teaks in UI, but it's good overall.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i use colloque but i loath the stupid popups that come up when you log in, they are plain stupid, if any of you know how to disable them please say how.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Another vote here for X-Chat Aqua. I'd love to see a port of mIRC to OS X, but X-Chat Aqua is as good as it gets right now.

6. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

x-chat is a good one.

Sometimes I like the simplicity of command-line irc, and my vote would go to bitchX for that.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Are there any stable (non-X11) builds of this program (as in, no hangs or crashes) these days?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Yes. X-Chat Aqua

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ah, that's the same fork. Bummer.

10. Bear macrumors G3

I haven't had crashes and it runs without X11. That is what you asked for, isn't it? Maybe you should try it before saying "bummer"?

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I did giove it a try before saying "bummer." That's the same fork that hung and crashed when I gave it a try, and I see that it hasn't been updated since then.

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't use IRC a whole lot, but when I do X-Chat Aqua works fine for me. Kind of a clunky un-Mac-like interface, but it gets the job done.