Mac version of WinRAR? Combineing .rar files...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlmightyG5, Apr 18, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Is there a program for Mac like WinRAR that will combine .rar files and then decrompress them. I don't thik stuffit does this.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

unRarX

3. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Another vote for unRarX.. very handy app, specially when i'm downloading stuff from newsgroups :p

4. nutmac macrumors 68030

StuffIt is actually capable of combining .rar files. Simply select the first .rar file and it will look for and combine the rest. In my experience, it did stumble with one set of .rar files that unRarX handled, however (password protected archive).

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its all I use. Nice and simple but shows you the details. Works everytime.:D

8. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I have stuffit and unrarx
    stuffit always works for combined rars for me....
    but both are nice:)

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'll add MacPAR Deluxe as a recommendation:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gp/MacPAR_deLuxe/

It's shareware, but it handles PAR and PAR2 files smoothly, and also will link to an external app that handles straight-up chopped files (rather than RARed). I admittedly use cat from the terminal for that, but it's nice to have a GUI to do it, especially since you can just throw stuff at it and it'll figure out what it needs to do.

10. morgothaod macrumors regular

How do you join mutiple .Rar files with Unrar?

11. After G macrumors 68000

After G

My recommendation is The Unarchiver.

Handles password-protected RARs better - you can enter the password right when decompressing instead of having to enter it beforehand. It also handles up chopped RARs just great. Double-click the first file and it'll automatically go through all of them.

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You just unrar the first one and it will auto extract and join all the files if they are *.part1.rar, *.part2.rar or *.r00, *.r01 ... etc.

I have both too. stuffit is a little more convenient because it's a smaller window, but every once and a while it fails so I use unrarX. :D

13. morgothaod macrumors regular

Hmm I had 2 .rar files and it gave me 5 .wmv's

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Just like you can fit as many files as you want in a zip you can fit as much as you want in a rar and that rar can be split into as many parts as you want. :p

15. pontiacy macrumors newbie

I highly recommend rarmachine. It's simple but has all the functions I need: compress and decompress .rar files, and supports encryption and segmentation (compress to parts or decompress from several parts).

16. morgothaod macrumors regular

How can I join the 5 small files into 1 big one?

17. quactaur macrumors newbie

I personally use the unarchiver and unrarx.

The Unarchiver works with most files you throw at it. The sole exception seems to be the complex (often multi part) rars that you get on newsgroups, from torrents, etc. The goal list for the Unarchiver v2 acknowledges this, and from what I gather is due to the software occasionally "getting it wrong" when it attempts to autodetect how to decompress the rar.

For those sole ocassions, unrarx comes to the rescue. Generally I use theunarchiver (which is the default opener) and if that fails, open up unrarx.

Both are free and don't require a penny from you.

18. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I already answered that... Scroll up.

19. morgothaod macrumors regular

I mean join the .wmv's not the .RAR's, sorry.

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If they are split WMV's you can use hjsplit to join them. But you'll know if they were files named *.wmv.001, *.wmv.002, etc. or *.wmv.1, *.wmv.2, etc.

Then hjsplit will join them (google it, you can find a java app that runs on any platform)

Otherwise... You'll have to use a video editing software solution to add them to each other. If you have quicktime pro you can use that. I think Virtuadub may have a solution for this but it's not very simple.

21. vipersarin macrumors newbie

weird?

After extracting all the 9 parts of a movie i downloaded, i get a new folder that says sr-hp8.01 all the way through 76. hp8 is the movie. Does anybody know why? and what to do withh them?

22. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

There should also be a .RAR file or a .00 file. With unRARx installed just double-click the .RAR file and it'll join the .01 through .76 files into the one final movie file.