Mac Virgin

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dayloon, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. dayloon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Location:
    Stafford, UK
    #1
    After YEARS of being a Microsoft fan, I've caught the apple bug and something is telling me to buy a mac. Im thinking about the iMac G5. Not sure about 17" or 20" at the moment. I want to wait until Tiger is released before I buy though, may as well wait a few days to get the latest OS. But about these rumored imac spec changes (increase default RAM, better video card etc)....how likey are they and when are they likely to happen ? It all seems like rumors and theory's at the moment, nothing solid. Last thing I want is to order a imac G5 and then apple update the spec 2 days later.

    If/When they do change the spec, will it become immediate across the globe (im in the UK), also is the price likely to stay the same or increase ?

    Hope im doing the right thing !!
     
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #2
    You ARE doing the right thing.

    Hang in there -- read & contribute to these boards. As soon as anyone knows anything definite, it'll be all over this forum within seconds.

    Generally, prices tend to stay the same but specs improve at the same price point.

    Remember, once a new model is announced it may not be available in the UK for 6-12 weeks depending on demand and how soon you order.

    The wait will be well worth it. :)
     
  3. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #3
    Congratulations on your decision.

    Since the 17- and 20-inch iMacs are virtually identical aside from screen size in their base configurations, I'd reccomend the 20" if you have it in the budget. Having the real estate is just nice to have and will add to the enjoyment of your machine, especially if you do any photo or graphic work.

    Prices ought to stay the same for the Revision B's. Apple has a good price point right now, and since this is their best selling line, I doubt you'll see price increases.

    Good luck! :D
     
  4. brap macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    Location:
    Nottingham
    #4
    Very sensible.
    There's never anything solid until they're released... but iMac updates are about due.
    The online stores are updated immediately. No waiting... usually retailers have them sat out back just waiting, too. Prices stay more-or-less the same across each line.

    Give it a short while, at least until Tiger is out... if there isn't anthing new iMac by then, you may as well pull the trigger. No sense waiting forever :)

    I assume you've read around and know about adding RAM aftermarket?
     
  5. zelmo macrumors 603

    zelmo

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Location:
    Mac since 7.5
    #5
    Yuo're doing the right thing. The iMac G5 is a great all-purpose computer, and plenty fast enough to do all but the most intensive CPU-crunching stuff. I have an older 800MHz G4 iMac and we still use it for surfing, email, MS Office, all the iLife app's including GarageBand, and also some Adobe CS and Quark work I bring home from time to time.

    Tough to say when Apple is going to upgrade the spec's. I'd definitely wait until at least the Tuesday after Tiger comes out to see if Apple upgrades the base RAM and GPU, et al. If they don't do something in the next couple of weeks, iit might be the MacWorld Paris Expo, which is in the fall. I'd bet on something happening soon, though. The iMac is overdue for a small makeover.
    Either way, welcome to Mac. You won't regret it.
     
  6. 4God macrumors 68020

    4God

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    Location:
    My Mac
    #6
    I agree. However, I think I'd wait just a couple more weeks to see if there are any revisions to the iMac.
     
  7. dayloon thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Location:
    Stafford, UK
    #7
    The fall ? Damn, thats a long time to wait. The reason I was going to wait for the update is mainly due to the better CPU and video card. I read somewhere that the Radeon 9600 is a better card for Tiger.
     
  8. 4God macrumors 68020

    4God

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    Location:
    My Mac
    #8
    Probably the best advice yet. But I don't think you'll have to wait 'till the Paris Expo for hardware updates.
     
  9. machobson macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    #9
    YES! You made the right decision. And I agree that you should wait until they do an iMac revision, I know that its along time but good things come to those who wait. :D Oh and this is my first post, Hi everyone I am machobson, long time mac user and loving it ;)
     
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

    Mechcozmo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2004
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #11
    Yes, I think that you are making the correct decision. Welcome to MacRumors, Just as Blue Velvet mentioned, keep monitoring the threads for any updates. I also think that we will see an update to the iMac very soon. Could be anytime, but think that we will hear something by or at WWDC in June.
     

Share This Page