Mac virus...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guitarmaster18, Mar 29, 2007.

1. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Last night, I scanned my computer with clamXav for viruses. It said that it found one in my /Users/~/library/caches folder, called Java.Classloader. I secsessfully quarenteened it, then securely deleted it. Should I be worried, and what exactly would that virus have done? (I am using a MacBook)

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/classloader.shtml

Sounds like an IE vulnerability exploit. You're fine.

3. guitarmaster18 thread starter macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

That is exactly what I had, but I never used IE. I may have used an older version of firefox... but, I mostly use safari. So, are you sure all I had to do was delete them?

4. guitarmaster18 thread starter macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Ahhh... Never mind. I was running an old version of IE in parallels desktop... But, they say that it is serious if you are on a PC... Oh well... I deleted it so let that be the end of it.

5. VinceVegaUK macrumors newbie

It sounds like it could be a false positive. I know symantec offer a list of known viruses and false positives. it also tells you what it's for or where it's come from, mind you this is mainly on PC but i would advise not to delete your qurantiend items imediatly as if it did turn out to be a false positive you could have deleted a key component to an application thus corrupting it. leave it in there for a week or two. I normally delete my qurantines before i start a new scan after few weeks just to see if my sytem is running ok.

Later

vv

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It probably was attached to some page you opened in Safari/Firefox in OS X, downloaded, and (of course) didn't do anything. I'm sure there might be Windows viruses sitting in your caches if you traverse some of the seedier sections of the Internet. That doesn't make them harmful to your machine though.