Mac Voice Over IP

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thidranki, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

With Ventrilo still "in development" of their mac client, I was wondering if there are any cross platform VOIPs that are meant for gaming?

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Is there something specific that gaming VOIP's have that Skype doesn't offer?

3. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Does skype have channels that you can idle in?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Skype is limited to about 7 connections. TeamSpeak (the best gaming VOIP software IMHO which just happens to not be available for Mac) allows many more. I don't think there is even a limit. We've had 20+ people on it.

5. Thidranki thread starter macrumors member

Thidranki

well, gaming specific voip arent' as hard on the computer, which allows games to run more smoothly

6. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

This seems to be a topic that quite frequently pops up on the boards here. The two viable choices are typically skype and netfone. Here are some previous topics on the subject:

here

or

here

Gaming specific voips run on a server somewhere else typically. less badwidth restraint on your system, the load is taken at the server, mish mashed together, and sent to you in one small stream with eveyone on it...instead of say skype or netfone, where you are connected to each individual, accepting their streams of 5 or 10 k/second.

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I dunno, but I seriously hate the commecrials that pronounce VOIP as a word.