.Mac vs Flickr

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Mar 15, 2005.

1. niter macrumors 6502

My .Mac service is to renew in 4 days, but I am not certain if it is something I would like to do. My main reason for using .Mac is the picture hosting. I will pay to keep my .Mac email account, but I am wondering if I should look elsewhere to host my pictures. Currently, I have a free Flickr account, and I enjoy it tremendously. I am considering getting that service for the year as it is priced at $50 right now.

I know I will miss the templates, but I can handle that for saving $50. I will also miss being able to use my iDisk, but I have 30 free MB from my university and I have only ever put files on my .Mac account once as I have a laptop and my boss has an Xdrive to which us students can load our files to her upon. The other features that really drove me to .Mac like the calendar sharing and saving bookmarks are excellent, but I never got around to using them (even after a 60 day trial and 1 year of service).

I would like to have information towards continuing my .Mac service versus ending it and getting a paid Flickr account. Any other photo hosting services (other than Buzznet) would be of interest too. I host my photographs on another site so that I can post them in my blog. Perhaps I should just finish learning Dreamweaver and just use my .Mac account to host my blog.

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well if you dont need .mac dont get it, it seems to me that you dont. I use iDisk, mac mail, backup a lot so i am keeping mine.

3. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible to purchase just a .Mac email address? I think I might be stuck using .Mac!

4. edge9in macrumors newbie

Unfortunitely, the answer is no. I would love to pay like $20 a year just for the .Mac email address. But, to get .Mac email you HAVE to purchase .Mac.