Mac vs. PC...University of Illinois video...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jholzner, Feb 8, 2003.

1. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
  2. PC Clone macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Go ahead and take a glimpse at the real world, fellas :eek:
  3. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i am like the two who can use either platform and in the context of school work, as long as it is not intensive graphics, both platforms will get the job done
  4. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Oxford UK
    are you serious

They're university students, come on, they can barely string two words together. I like their reasons for using a PC though:

1. Can't minimise a window on a Mac:confused:
    2. One button mouse:confused:
    3. No german characters:confused:

what a bunch of morons. I personally don't want people like that using macs anyway. :)
  5. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    Re: are you serious

based on personal experience with the idiots in this town, im forced to agree with you on that.

i'll have a mac soon :cool:
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    nice trolling.

I'm looking around and I'm seeing macs everywhere in the real world. People use what they're comfortable with, and so what if everyone doesn't have a mac. I'm happy to be in the minority.

Its all irrelevant what platform you work on, its what you do with the computer that makes the difference.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yeah it sort of sucks that everyone in the "real" world uses a PC, but goes home and dreams of owning a Mac.

What else could those dreams about the death of MS Windows mean?
  8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If that's yer version of the real world you need to get out more ofen. ;)

9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    in a sense, windows died, from its original format, when windows 95 came was microsoft's most blatant copy of the mac os

and now windows xp borrows the aqua from os x

they may make the money and are powerful now, but after both companies cease operations one day and are a part of the history of high tech, apple will be remembered as the one who were the innovators

the wright brothers made the first flight and many know that...but who, slightly later, made the most money in aviation...and who really cares now?:p
  10. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I rather have a moron saying stupid things about Macs than a lady that broil them:D

If I could go back to school and do everything over again:rolleyes:

Defindly I took 2 years of a Digital Media program but the experience came 4 years later. When you go out of school you just know nothing.
  11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    hmmm I was hoping to goto UofI next year but know I really have to think....atleast I have my iBook so i can avoid as many those PC people if necessary. I think it is kind of weird that basically every BS reason they gave for PCs being better than MACs is addressed in Apples 10 Reasons to switch. Obviously they were on the ball with these ten reasons. The problem is that we are like Columbus, the rest of the world may spend centuries believing the world is a falt PC world, until they see and understand the powerfel round Mac World.
  12. PC Clone macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    lol You people really are delusional sometimes... it's scary...
  13. couch potato macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2003
    real world? no way. part of the world. of course a lot of COLLEGE students use PC's. what about artists, muscisians? etc......
  14. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    now now... you're giving PC users such as myself a bad name ;)

and i do have to say your system really beats the pants off mine.
  15. losfp macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Use whatever's right for the job :) It's all about a balanced view. It's like restricting yourself to only watching one tv channel, just because it's your favourite. If you don't check them all out and watch the best programs from all of them, you're missing out.

oh, and my specs (while we're doing this!!) :

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 768MB SDRAM, 2x80GB HDDs, Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, Pioneer DVR-A05 DVD-R, ATI 7500 All-In-Wonder, Windows XP Pro, 19" Diamondview CRT

Must.. save.. for... new... powerbook! :D
  16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Look the movie was almost 50/50 and some of those reasons were BS...

In both Os 9 & 10 you can:
    type is german.
    minimize a window. Os X it goes into the dock. In os 9 it closes into a bar or onto the bottom.

The one button mouse isn't that annoying, I mean if your gonna switch is the main sticking point the mouse?
  17. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

your system is definitely decent but run an 800 mhz g4 imac against it and you will see that macs are not that bad or slow

right now, macs are behind in speed and a little on the costly side, but at a certain point, speed won't be an issue with most computer users
  18. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    dont you know anything :rolleyes:
    that is the best reason. man, you are stupid.

really, if you get USB mouse for AUD40 then you will have a two button mouse on your mac. optical even :eek: !!!!

19. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    i plan on using my current mouse when i get a mac.
  20. couch potato macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2003
    gosh, what is this? AMD-only site or something??

my specs currently blow the pants off of any mac, in just about everything. just about, though.

My PC specs:

P4 2.4Ghz NorthwoodA
    Gigabyte GA-8SRX MOBO
    256mb Kingston DDR 333
    geForce 4 ti 4400
    Asus 52x cd-rom
    samsung 48-16-48 cd-rw

Antec mid-tower(looks a lot like a full-tower)400w case, almost identical to Alienware's cases

sound audigy gamer(came with 2 games)

mac specs:
    800Mhz iMac
    768mb sd-ram
    regular apple speakers, but nice kensington optical mouse

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Okay, let's take a pencil to this. Here are the folks and their responses:

1. PC - PC's Easier to use and don't crash as much
    2. MAC - PC's slower, more errors
    3. MAC - Prefer Macs but more OSX
    4. PC - More software, more familiar
    5. PC - PC's easier to use and more of them on campus
    6. PC - I grew up using PC
    7. NONE - doesn't matter to me
    8. NONE - Don't prefer either one
    9. PC - PC more familiar, one button mouse, minimize windows on PC
    10. PC - Umlaut on PC easier
    11. MAC - Mac's simpler
    12. MAC - I have better luck with a Mac

Tabulation: PC-6, Mac-4, NONE-2
    1. All computers crash. History shows that PC's crash more.
    4. The software falacy. There's no $5.00 bin of Mac software at K-mart. So exactly what software isn't available on the Mac?
    5. Familiarity only. Can get on one becasue there are more. Where is proof of superiority?
    6. Familiarity
    9. So buy a 4-button mouse and scroll wheel or learn to use KB shortcuts... the reason for a 1 button mouse! OSX does minimize. OS9 can too with 3-rd party add-on.
    10. Doesnt have OSX I guess.

For the most part PC users on campus have them at home or grew up with them.
    Mac market share here: 40%
    Movie was done on iMovie, not PC.

What does this all prove? Why nothing. So why the hell am I wasting my time?
  22. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin

Here's my system specs:

2.4B P4 @ 155 FSB 1.65V @ 2.80Ghz
    512MB Corsair XMS Memory
    Abit BE7 Mobo
    120 Gig Western Digital SE HD
    80 Gig Western Digital HD
    SB Audigy
    GeForce 4 Ti4600
    Lian-Li Aluminum Case, etc...

Hardcore in every sense of the word, and recently I sold it. Why? I experienced the G4 Powerbook.... but that's another story.

I came to College at the University of Wisconsin, was already well acquainted with several flavors of *nix... mostly Slackware on my PC. About a quarter of the people on my floor have Macs, and at first I laughed at them -- those silly 800 mhz processors can't touch my top end pentium.

However, after a while of watching all the shiny new Dells with their p4s crash and burn, I did take a bit of interest in them in that "wow, looks like macs are good for idiots, they aren't able to break them very easily."

The beauty of OSX is both in its simplicity and its complexity. It's a perfect idiot OS, if you don't **** with it it NEVER breaks, and it's SIMPLE to use. a lot of people really do prefer using the Mac, simply because they don't break. OSX is also great for geeks like me... but that's another story also...

Back on track with the real point: Most people who dismiss the Mac have NEVER REALLY USED ONE. OSX is by any measure the most revolutionary OS ever to grace a monitor, and any beginner as well as any power user will come to appreciate it if they actually use it for a while. The folks on this video prove that point-- "uhh i use a pc cuz i cant do an umlaut on a mac." All i have to say is MORON. Mac owns Pc in every way having to deal with multilanguage support. Between that and "cant mimimize a window," i.e. I HAVENT USED A MAC FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES, you see how most people who totally dismiss the mac have certainly never used one for more than a few minutes.
  23. PC Clone macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Beats me... this survey wasn't "Which system is superior and give me good hard evidence on why!" it was "Which do you prefer to use?" If those people prefer an OS that's easier to use, a 2 button mouse, and a faster processor, then why should they use a Mac? They have their reasons...
  24. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    i had a friend.

he told me i could get a p4 2.4 512DDR 80GB GF4Ti64DDR SB Auddigy for AUD3000

i got a DP867 MDD2002 ^SD ^80GB o/c 1Ghz.

he said i was an idiot

he came over one day - after purchase

he used my mac

i opened 20 odd apps and used 6 (ppt, IE, mail, imovie, qt and itunes) simultaneously

the only reason he wont get a mac? he likes his games - he wants then when they are released.

what did i prove? most pc die hards have different views BEFORE and AFTER using a mac. if you can put up with the how do i, oh there it is thing then let a pc user use your mac for a bit.

apple might make another USD1000.
  25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    You are correct. But those comments were more directed to your post that said "Go ahead and take a glimpse at the real world, fellas" which hints that they are better. And I'm somewhat confused how your statement can be based on the above data. How can you support your statement? You can't since 12 people in a world of millions of computer users can't give anyone a glimse of the "real world". Hence my "what does it prove? statement. Lastly, my own conclusion is pretty much the same as yours in that we have our reasons. Let's leave it at that.