Mac vs. PC

Discussion in 'Community' started by michaeld, Dec 21, 2002.

1. michaeld macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was having an arguement the other day about which is better mac or pc. Naturally i tried to defend the mac, but he had a lot of firepower on his side. If anyone knows of good arguments or points i can make to prove him wrong it would be much appeated.

Thanks, Mike

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Mac vs. PC

tell us what his strong points were and we will try to help. if his main points was games he has already got it won, games suck on macs. face it.

iJon

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Mac vs. PC

personal opinion, its a fruitless argument. both have the advantages and disadvantages, and people should just sue what they like. Not enough people even give the mac a chance, because they just use what they are used to, but thats not relaly a point to argue. I like my mac, I'm comfortable with that. I could care less if someone else doesn't like it.

If you really want to argue it, mackido.com has some good points to run down, and any number of other threads here or on other forums have loads of debate (whcih usually end up in flaming, just like a real argument will)

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I think a thread like this, since it's Saturday night, calls for the Macrumors Mac vs. PC Drinking Game. (21+ only please) Here are the rules:

Gather round your monitor with all your friends and a bottle of Ripple, and everybody take a swig each time you see one of the following:

"Winblows"
    "Windblows"
    "Winblowz"
    "Windblowz"
    "Windoze"
    "PeeCee"
    "M$"
    "Micro$oft"
    "Microshaft"
    "Micro$haft"
    "Billy Gates"
    "Billyboy Gates"
    "18 gigaflops"
    "Macs are overpriced"
    "Macs aren't expensive"
    "They both have advantages and disadvantages"
    "My friend's peecee running XP crashes like every half hour"
    "OS X is so fast, it rocks my socks, it's soooo much faster than everything else"
    "My rev C iMac is faster than a 2GHz P4 at some tasks"
    "All graphic designers use Macs"
    "All video editors use Macs"
    "All audio engineers use Macs"

The last person to pass out wins. If you make it to page 2, you're Superman and will likely be dead shortly.

Have at it.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

this topic could go on forever, this is a mac forum, lets all agree, MACS ARE BETTER!

6. Steradian macrumors 6502

Hey

Arn how many times has this discusion been posted??? Since i have joined (december) this topic has come about 3 times, I would imaging that this must get very repetitive. no? ;)

Yawn- I love my PB wouldn't trade it for anyother notebook in the market so yeah... (i have no idea what this has todo with mac vs peecees in a hardware standpoint but yeah)
    o 1 more thing
    "Winblows"
    "Windblows"
    "Winblowz"
    "Windblowz"
    "Windoze"
    "PeeCee"
    "M$"
    "Micro$oft"
    "Microshaft"
    "Micro$haft"
    "Billy Gates"
    "Billyboy Gates"
    "18 gigaflops"
    "Macs are overpriced"
    "Macs aren't expensive"
    "They both have advantages and disadvantages"
    "My friend's peecee running XP crashes like every half hour"
    "OS X is so fast, it rocks my socks, it's soooo much faster than everything else"
    "My rev C iMac is faster than a 2GHz P4 at some tasks"
    "All graphic designers use Macs"
    "All video editors use Macs"
    "All audio engineers use Macs"

Kryptonite!

PowerBook G4 1ghz

7. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

Personally, I just got sick of the over priced software and faulty hardware/software of PCs. I am currently in the process of trying to clean up my parents' PC. Loads of dead links and misc. other crap just laying about. I wish Windows had a nice System Profiler program like the Macs do. Ah, there is at least one more reason why I like my Mac! Oh, and my 15" LCD display which I recently bought...not only is that thing amazingly beautiful to look at (it really does want me to use my Mac a little more), but I love how I can turn on the entire machine just by brushing the 'power button' on the monitor. Now I don't even have to bend over to turn on the machine!

As for games, sure, perhaps something like The Longest Journey or Syberia might not see the light of day on the Mac, but I'm pretty content with the number of games which have been coming to the Mac, many which I don't have nor wish to play, but there are many which I have, enjoy, and perhaps a few in the future which are in the works of conversion. I'm still in the starting process of Summoner, which is, so far, a pretty decent RPG game, plus I need to login another 199 hours into Baldur's Gate, and I just got Alice. Evercrack might be interesting and see why it has driven my brother to be a two-fisted Evercracker (he plays EQ on two machines at the same time...it's that bad...)

As a developer/programmer/general user, Mac OS X does everything and more that it would take Linux and Windows combined to somewhat match...if even that. Cocoa, Project Builder, and Interface Builder are just some awesome tools which have helped me immensely in creating my own apps. PB is the ONLY IDE I've ever used which was straight foward and clean enough to not have to force new users through a bunch of crap just to create simple projects. Do BlueJ, CodeWarrior, or Visual Studio do it for me? Not at all. I enjoy my Macs (all 7 of them) very much, and I see no reason to go off and find anything else. Why bother when I have found that which is as close to perfection as there is going to be at this time in the computing world?

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Mac vs. PC

indeed. it's really an exercise of who can make the bigger idiot of themselves when they get angry he he :D

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

THat argument, like so many others (including religious arguments
    ;) ) are pointless to argue about, because people are too stubborn
    to change their views. Your friend could totally out-argue you and
    to any sane person it would sound like a PC was better, but you
    would still like macs more and vice versa.

But to me it all comes down to what you want to do with your
    computer, and what you can afford. If I had $5000 to go buy a
    computer, I would go get a mac. If I had $800 I would get a PC.

They both have their advantages, and disadvantages, and
    arguing with a friend about them all day will get you nowhere.

Trust me, I have argued the mac vs PC argument many times, and
    it is a purposeless argument that has never gotten anyone
    anywhere.

Just tell your friend that he can think what he wants to think, but
    you are going to think what you think despite what he thinks.

That's a lot of 'thinks' :D. :rolleyes:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Has anyone found out how many Darwin Award winners have been PC users?

11. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I wouldn't say its a pointless argument. I've convinced my sister, 2 friends, father, and my girlfriend all to get macs... Plus, one of my mom friends got a Dell then RETURNED IT when I showed her my sister's iMac. :cool:

I'm good... oh yeah...

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You'll get nowhere arguing. I gave that up about 6 years ago when I saw, as a Mac-lunatic, that it was an emotional, strategic dead-end. I just continue to be at LEAST 75% more productive, and continually point out how easy and powerful a Mac is. Trust me and save yourself from grief. Just use the Mac and use it well. People will eventually see. Next time you're confronted just say "I used to use a PC but now I use a Mac. I've found that I'm more productive, and frankly I'm having more fun now." It works.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I gave up years ago also. I find the best answer to the argument is to show them what I can do on my Dual/GHz/DDR with 10.2. Last time I did this there was no argument there was no discussion they just sat ther with there mouths agape and drooled on themselves. Once they came around all they said is my next computer will be a Mac.

14. diorio macrumors 6502a

You can get an excellent Mac for $999. You're overexaggerating the price of Macs. Sure, they're a little more, but in the end, "you get what you pay for".

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

All scem0 seems to do that requires speed is play games. He simply wanted a game computer. He would have been better off getting a console.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

not really..... I don't like game consoles. I like to do EVERYTHING
    on my computer. Yes, play games, but also do c++ projects for
    school. Photoshop work for my parents. I do a little bit of everything.

But when compared to a $999 PC (ie. a 2.8 GHz pentium 4 - you can
    find them for $999 on eBay), are they so good? I don't think I
    exaggerate the prices of apple products. But then again, there
    is a lot of opinion involved, so to you macs aren't that expensive,
    but to me they are waaaaaaaaaay to expensive. I guess it also
    depends on how much money you have. Expensive to one person
    is cheap to another.

17. diorio macrumors 6502a

You do C++ projects for school? What grade are in? If you are old enough to be using C++, you're probably old enough to get a job and then Macs wouldn't be so expensive. What is the point of spending 1-2 hours a day on MAC rumors, if you: a) don't have a Mac, and b) never plan on getting a Mac?

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

We did C++ projects in my school (a very select group for single teacher) in 11th grade.

19. diorio macrumors 6502a

I doubt he's a junior in high school.

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

A student I knew just got an AlienWare PC for games. The thing cost over 3K. It's impressive to be sure... when playing games. But isn't 3K a lot to spend on EverQuest or some other role-playing game? Isn't it too much to spend to be able to have 128FPS on QuakeIII? To some yes, some no. A console is a hundred or so if you want FP shooters. Almost any computer these days can play RPG'S and most FPS's. So my point? I guess I have none, really. Games are diversions to me, not a way of life. To those who demand a thousand frames/second and have the dough to buy a good PC, go for it. If you dabble in games get a console or a Mac. Apple and oranges, to be sure. Me? I dabble, but when it comes right down to it, and I've said it before, Mac allows me to be WAY more productive and that's an unquestionable fact as I have a rather long history to prove it. And for others? Get what you want: PC's for games and dabbling in productivity, Macs for dabbling in games and being more productive. Just depends on where your priorities lay.

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The word of the day is "zealot". Only zealots argue this, and a zealot, almost by definition, will not change their opinion. All you'll do is upset each other and yourself, then both go away sulking about how stupid the other one's cause is.

:)
    pnw