Mac vs. PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smarties, Nov 25, 2004.

1. smarties macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2004

I have no experience in Mac but I am interested to know what you would suggest between buying a PC and a Mac.
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    You are in a Mac forum? what do you think we are going to suggest? Get a mac. it is better.
  3. solaris macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I would suggest Mac.
    Thats pretty obvious isnt it? Afterall this is a Mac forum... :p
  4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    it depends on what you need the computer for... :cool:
  5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    There are millions of these threads... try to search for them.
  6. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    With that kind of help I think he might thing that the mac community is full of virii and difficult to use.... like windoze.

To the original thread starter: What do you want to do on your new computer?

If the answer is "Play all the cool new video games"... get a PC. Macs have some games, but not as many as the PC.

If it's ANYTHING else, it will be easier and simpler on a mac. Office, Surfing, Music, Video Editing, Pictures, sound, digital studio...etc... and 99% of the time it's all fully compatible with the PC counterparts.

They just work better..... they don't crash ... they keep running.... they don't get virii, they stay fast (don't slow down), and are just reliable and simple.

If you want to play a lot of brand new computer games - get a PC, and it will do it for cheaper...

...or do what I did. Get a Mac, and have a PS2, N64, Atari, Intellevision, Sega Nintendo, and SNES for your game playing fix.
  7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Go to a store. Find a friend with a Mac...

Have a play...

You might just come to like it...
  8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
  9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004

well I can think of some other reason to go PC. It all comes down to what you are using it for. I can give valid reason for going PC that is not playing game. There is some high level software that is only advabilly PC side and the mac side lags years if it even in there at all. But mostly that has to do the engineering stuff I do and want to do. Mac are really weaks in the engineering, CS, and math side compared to PC. There the lack of software hurts them but it also like less than 5% of people even will be using the software in that area.

All in all to answer your question we have to know what need the computer for
  10. *Y* macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2004
    Mac, all the way Baby! :D

Sorry couldn't resist

But seriously like the above posters said, it depends on what you are going to be using the computer for; if you are seriously considering buying a mac, go to an Apple Store near you.
  11. OryHara macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2004
    San Bruno, CA
    if you want to play games, im afraid i have to suggest the peecee. but if you want it for anything else, MAC!
  12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    God. And the machines look so fierce, too...

(At London Apple Store way earlier this evening. Am positively evangelical...)
  13. JLaFrance macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    If you're looking to do CAD work, PC is the way to go....sry mac (the good software just doesnt exist)
  14. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas

Cool - yes, possibly even sexy, but fierce?

Care to explain :confused:
  15. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    We need more info

In order to better help you, you need to give us more info on exactly what your needs are, or exactly what you intend to use your computer for.

As others have already pointed out, if you play a lot of games, you might prefer a PC. If you want it to *just work* and don't have the time or the inclincation to fix it, then you'll probably prefer a Mac. Also, some schools hand out tests/assignments that only run on Windows.

Until you tell us more, this about the best advice that we can offer.

Good luck :)
  16. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    there is tonns of p2p mac software, acquisition limewire bit torrent. most of the major networks work on the mac.

as for vpc it have found that it runs at about half the clock rate of the mac cpu (aka a 1GHz g4 would be like a 500MHz pIII)
  17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Fierce: occasional London slang for cool, sexy, hot, as in:

You look fierce, baby!
  18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Get an iBook & Dell Desktop combo. Then you don't have to choose. Eventually you will want to sell or give away your Dell after a year or two. At that time you will have answered your own question.
  19. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    It's more difficult to find a good bag for the 17"; I put up with the extra weight because I like the extra screen real estate (and it plays widescreen movies rather nicely).

The PB power supply is auto-switching, so all you need is a set of plug/socket adaptors.
  20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas

Thanks for the definition - and hopefully I don't look too fierce as my wife wouldn't be pleased with me having to fend off all those hotties ;)
  21. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Of course, some games run quite well on the Mac -- Neverwinter Nights is available for Mac, though there was a bit of delay. It's standard practice for Myst to come out Mac and PC on the same disks at the same time.
  22. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I'd say get a mac. I've been a PC user for years now, and I like Macs a lot better. I've found some games that I want will work for Mac, if I get a fast enough computer. Expose is my favorite thing. Do a search for it, you'll fall in love with it. Right now I'm deciding what used Mac to get. If I were you, I'd get a used one, see what kinds of things you can do on it (unless you have the money then get an iMac G5). If you don't like it and you bought a brand new one, you can sell it on the forums here for about $200 less than what you bought it for. My experience with Mac has been more prouctive than with a PC. BTW, I might buy a $200 PC off from, it has Xandros on it, but I can always put XP Pro. on it and upgrade the RAM and use it for other games.

You know what, buy a Mac. There, thats all there is to it, just buy a Mac. You'll feel better in the end. + You have so much stability, you can never crash OS X (well you can, if you're me, but thats me)
  23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    The iMac doesn't have an auto-switching power supply. Apple ships it with the right PSU depending on where you say you live.

Get the Mac, in 6 years you will say, "Hmmm... I could get a new one but then again, PowerBook G5s next Tuesday....." ;) :rolleyes: