Mac vs. peecee

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Loca, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Loca macrumors newbie

I currently own a peecee, but it is around 5 years old and I need a new computer. I am trying to convince my parents not only to get a new computer, but to switch over to macs. I need a way to convince them that macs are better than peecees. Please tell me what I should tell them!!!

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

oh wow...where to begin?!

I don't have the time to get all into it...there's just way too many reasons to make the switch...

but u could show them the new ads on Apple's website...the "Switch Ads"...

that may shed a bit of light from "real people" ;)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Windows = BSOD :p
    OS X = STABLE
    OS X Simply rules, and it will be even better with the release of 10.2, which hopefully, isn't far away now :D
    The only problem I can see is that if you have alot of PC software you going to have to pay out for all of it again, but this time for mac versions :(

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

You could also use this article to pursuade them :)

Also, check out www.apple.com/myths for more reasons why an apple computer would do everything you need.

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Tell them there are over a million software titles for PC, and about ten-thousand for the Mac.

The tell them that 999,000 of the PC titles are poorly written, poorly documented, virus prone, and not worth the platters they're printed on.

Then tell them that there are very few bad Mac programs, as Mac developers must obey usability rules, and write programs primarily to accomplish tasks (not as marketing vehicles, spyware, etc).

Tell them that according to Gartner, the TCO of a Mac is lower in a business environment, because they need less support. This means in a home environment, there are not hours wasted on hold, days without a working computer, etc.

Tell them that Macs have far fewer peripherals available than PCs, but the peripherals are 'Best of Breed', and everything you need to connect, can be connected to a Mac.

Tell them that drivers are part of the OS 95% of the time, which means plug it in, and watch it work.

Tell them that 99% of the virii out there are specific to Windows.

Tell them that OS upgrades are likely to cost $19.99 for the life of the machine.

Tell them that the Mac is UNIX. Tell them that they never need to know anything about UNIX, but knowing it can make your a computing superstar in your future career (if that's your thing).

Tell them you've seen PC communites on the web where everything is a pissing contest, about blaming someone else, and people are more concerned with ego than solutions.

Tell them you've seen Mac communities on the web where people help each other in the rare event of a problem.

Tell them that Steve Jobs will never know their Social Security Number, Mother's Maiden Name, Place of Birth, and Bank Account number, but Bill Gates already does.

If that doesn't work tell them this (exactly):

"Hey, it's an extra $400. If $400 is going to cramp your lifestyle, then you don't have one."

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Oh, use this new computer as an opportunity to ditch AOL. You'll thank me later.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha ha!!! :D

well said...I have aol..but I don't use their crappy software...it's loaded with fillers and very slow on the net...

I use dsl at home & work...and pay $4.95 for my aol account...not too shabby I think...I keep the account because I've had it for 6 years now and don't want to go through the hassle of setting up new contact for everything.. :rolleyes:

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Here's a great article that I used as a basis for a speech on the topic about a month ago.

If you're trying to convince parents that are non-technically inclined (which I judge by the 5 yr. old PC), then your going to have to be clever and use real-world examples and ideas, not tech-speak. The people here at MR have provided some good ways for you to get started. The best way to persuade is with personal experience, but the Mac vs. PC argument is an old one that rages with much information on many levels— find the level that best suits your parent's. There is much info out there that is more refined than anything we can come up with.

Hardware is pretty universal, and most people are end-users, so try to sell them the software side (OS X vs. Window$ garbage) more than the quality of hardware.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

HELL YEAH!!!! AOHell... America OFF-Line...

You could also point out to them that setting up a dial up account on the Mac is at least 10x easier then a peecee. It's also easier to work with a Mac, since the interface is more intuitive, which means less time hunting for what you really want. With OS X, you have the rock solid stability of a Unix core, with the svelt interface that only Apple can provide.

Windows 95/98 is Mac circa 1984 :D

m$ is constantly ripping off features of the Mac OS, and will continue to do so in less efficient ways. So why not get it from the original??

As pointed out above, not only is software held to a higher standard on the Mac, but so is hardware. IF a piece of hardware says it will work on a Mac, it will. On peecee's you can have hardware combinations that make other items you want to add later fail to funtion.

If you want to add items to a Mac later, it's very easy. You want to add a PCI card, follow the simple directions and you are using it in less then a few minutes. You want to put a different card where that one is, and move that one down a slot or two?? With the Mac, you just do it, no need to remove the hardware first (from the OS). The Mac is smart enough to realize that you moved something to a different PCI slot, and not give you any lip about it.

Up time on Mac's are usually listed in weeks, or months. The only time they really go down, is power failures, or you do it by choice (i.e. a new OS update is released).

Best of all, say goodbye to the BSOD :D

BTW, Apple's support is one of the top ranking (at least in the US) with tech people that go out of their way to assist you.

10. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Yesterday, a friend of a friend came by to ask for some software help.

He wanted to get his son a computer for college and asked me what to get.

Of course I told him, Powerbook 800 all the way!@

He said that was insane because the university wasnt compatible with MAC's

I was blown away to hear that cliche! LOL

I looked at him in disbelieve, as his son said that there was only 10 percent of the students there that had MAcs.

So I said, Not compatible with what ? at school.
    You do your school papers then you print them out,, thats what you do.
    If they have a airport base station in the Dorm you surf.

WHo are you talking about or what when you say incompatible?

His answer was, I need software. there isnt any for the mac.

the next cliche, I couldnt believe that i was having this conversation!

I said" what software do you need that you dont think you can get for the mac?

Well, I want Final Draft to write scripts!

It was insanely funny when I turned my Ti book around to show them the script that I was writing on my Ti!
    Here you go, Final Draft on the MAC.

I dont understand how you came to these conclusions but they are dead wrong.
    Then came the final cliche.

Wow thats cool. huh how much is that computer?
    I told them
    Jesus are you crazy, thats insane, I cant afford that.
    I can get a sony for a lot less,!

It was all downhill from there!

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

That's when you have to start explaining about the longer life-span of a mac, the higher quality parts (and thus fewer maintenance requirements), and drop-dead design :)

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Loca: how about you just take them to a store and let them muck around with one for a bit...have they ever used OSX? If they haven't, they have no reason not to buy one apart from the pricing myth etc....just let them try one out..

13. Eliot macrumors member

There ought to be statistics we can quote to the shool crowd about what percentage of(unsaved) essays, papers etc get lost and have to be re-written from scratch due to yr PC crashing as opposed to a Mac.

14. Inhale420 macrumors regular

before os x NO one was claiming this, because you knew that anything pre os X had HORRIBLE stability.

now you actually think that it's more stable than windows 2000/XP. it's just sad people truly think this. i boot up my os X and win xp machines at work on monday, and turn them off friday. so far only the os x machine crashed once.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Inhale420, then go whack off in front of your hexpee box then... seriously, we don't give a flying f*ck what you experience, at least I don't. OS X is rock solid, unless you actually do things to change that.

As for hexpee, anyone that willingly gets the 'home' version should get their head examined. Considering how if you don't give m$ all the information that it asks for, you don't have a computer after 30 days (and that is a fact jackoff).

As for the stability of OS 9, it is NOT 'horrible' as you claim. I run it every day, all day at work, and very rarely crash (don't remember the last one). OS X IS many times better then OS 9 is/was, which is saying TONS.

How much memory do you have in your poor OS X system??? I would wager that you don't have enough, and leaving it running 24/7, or even 24/5 is not recommended. Shutting it down before you leave work, or are done for the day/night will do wonders for your system's stability.

Go back to sucking on your bong... :rolleyes:

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Geez AlphaTech, that last post must have hurt Inhale420! :D
    I almost felt the blow myself :p

17. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I booted up my OSX Server after updating to 10.1....

That's it.

Will reboot it in August for Jaguar.

I also checked my logs to see when my Win2k servers were last restarted, there is one that has gone 6 whole days (time since the last Win2K restart-required security patch).

2k (and maybe XP) are resonably stable by themselves. But a networked Window$ box is waiting for a virus (or Critical Update), and nowhere near as stable as a networked OSX box.

But anyway, thanks again for your unbiased and well researched input. As always, I will be basing all my future computing decisions on your advice.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Good, I hope it left a serious mark on it... Someone needs to have a serious talk with that 'boy'... you seen it's profile??? :rolleyes:

19. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Actually, this may be true for consumer systems, and portables, but does not apply to tower machines. I have 2 9600s at my desk which have been on continuosly since 1997, a B & W G3 400 since it was new, and a QS which I will not be shutting down for years to come.

Healthy PCBs and Power Supplies experience the most stress when power cycled. Fewer power cycles == less stress. Of course, I buy much better hard drives than stock for my machines, and make use of energy saving settings, but I avoid power cycles like the plague.

On the software side, OSX is very unlikely to KP while booted, and much more likley to KP on boot.

I moved a friend's company (about 300 machines) over to X over the last several months, and have all the users instructed not to shut down unless instructed to do so.

I 4 months since the process began, I haven't had one email related to memory leaks spiralling out of control, etc.

Of course, iMacs & PBs may require different tratment, but remember that the QS + OSX Server is the Apple G4 Server (not the XServe), designed for always on use.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, Nispy, since Inhale420 didn't list what kind of computer he has, we have no other info to base it on. Considering how we have been known to have power failures at work, I shut my system off before leaving for the day. I also turn off any computer at home when I am done for the evening. It's an old habit that has treated me very well to date. Even though OS X can stay running 24/7 (in a properly configured environment), I won't do it. You never know when a stray electrical storm will blow through and kill your power, or cause something even more evil, a power spike. I can wait the minute or so for my system to power up when I want it.

Also, since my landlord pays the electric bill, I do everything possible to keep it down. A small price to pay for a stable rent amount.

BTW, power supplies are rated for rediculouse numbers of power cyclings, so the chances of one failing is rather low. If it does fail, it could do it while you are in the middle of a project. I would rather find out before I start something large that the power supply is on it's way out, then when a render is at ~90% (after many hours).

21. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

About that 'Final Cliche' I remember in 8th grade, my science teacher asked me about what type of server the school should get to run the computers with. So (in front of the whole class by the way) I told him. PowerMac G3 450. I think when it got to the price thing, I said something along the lines of "...what costs more, a Ford Taurus of a Ferrari?" And as of two weeks later, we had a 450 Mhz G3 sitting in the server closet :) That was three years ago, and to my knowledge (9th - 12th grade is in a different school, high school to be exact :) ) it is still there today, being used for their 30 iMacs :D

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

shadowfax, you lucky b!!!!!d :)

At Pascack Hills (check my profile) there are only peecees in the building. And the only one real computer techie in the whole building mocks Apple computers every time I bring my iBook to class.

I think I need to join your classes...do they have Calculus courses and Mathmatica? :D

23. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Heh heh, I DO have Mathematica (I'm glad they offer a student version, phew :rolleyes: ) I'm gonna be taking pre-Calc next year, and I think the biggest computers we are going to be using for that are our graphing calculators :D, I COULD always bring in my dad's powerbook G4 and show them how it's done of course :) But I'm sad to say that in my current school the only Macs they have are in the writing labs and are HORRIBLY taken care of. The only other places, are in the the video dept. (the guy who teaches actually know what he's doing) and in the Art dept., and I think that just sits there...:mad:

24. Eliot macrumors member

For the last 4 years, I've run Logic and Protools on Macs-I once left a loop running for three weeks on a 7200/90- and I now use a 500 TiBook. This works too, just like they all did.Some OSs were more stable, but NONE OF THEM crash/lock up/P*** me off like the Sony PCG-X9 laptop running IE that I'm typing this on. My studio is Mac-based, and that is awaiting a new Mac to replace the year-old G4 I just sold with my Protools rig. I am amazed at the load of old b******s I hear from PC users who have come into computing via gaming on a PC and have the damned cheek to suggest their PCs are even on the same planet for stability. I don't know much outside of running music stuff...I can barely post on a forum without getting into a tangle....but I can do it on a Mac far easier than a PC and it keeps working.I'M ANGRY NOW.
    PC lovers can all ************************** off.

A landfill is calling you, little PC:mad: :p

25. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I am in totaL agreement with all that was said by AlphaTech
    and Eliot!

I will add that I hate WINDOZE bigtime!

Just thought that I woudl squeeze that in.:D