Mac vs PS2

Discussion in 'Games' started by student7018, Dec 8, 2004.

1. student7018 macrumors newbie

hello... just wondering, what spec mac would be able to play games the same sort of quality as a ps2...

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Do you mean play PS2 games through an emulator (not happening) or play Mac games with PS2 quality?

3. student7018 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're asking completely the wrong question.

99% of games on the PS2 are not on the Mac, so what difference does it make?

5. student7018 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The output a PS2 gives is only something like 640x480 (VERY low in PC/Mac gaming terms), so it really wouldn't take much, but it would look horrid on a computer monitor. Games consoles can get away without having to output high res images because (most) TV's have such a terrible resolution relative to computer monitors.

7. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I believe you can get some games for the PS2 that are 420p, though that still is only SDTV. The XBox even though it wasn't asked about has some games that are 1080i and 720p, which are HDTV (this site has a database of the games: http://144.92.43.200/hdg/), so to match the quality of those games you would need a bit better computer since the resolution of 1080i is 1920x1080, which you'll need a 23" Cinema Display type of monitor to get that resolution. So to drive that you'll need a pretty powerful system.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

480p is, you realize, 640x480.

and what you're referring to (a 23" CD running 1920x1080) would actually be 1080p, not 1080i (interlaced).

In other words, the analogy doesn't hold up. You're dealing with half of the actual refresh rate (per frame) when you go from p to i.

And have you seen an xbox trying to render 720p?? it's...apparent...that it isn't really up to the task. yeah, it looks cool, but only if you ignore the missing textures and the laggy gameplay and the short draw distances that result.

that GeForce 3 isn't quite up to the task of 1280x720 with the sort of textures and geometry that are being thrown at it.

9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Yes, I said it is only SDTV, SDTV, you realize, is 640x480.

Yes I know it's not interlaced, but it still larger than 1920x1080 (it is actually 1920x1200, so it's not 1080p either), which is the size of 1080i (which is what xbox games can be) so that it can display HDTV resolution.

What analogy? I didn't have any analogy. I was just saying the xbox has HD games, so to expand on what edesignuk said there are some consoles that do higher resolution, but not the PS2.

No I haven't, I'm not a video gamer, I'm a web design/video production guy. But since my sister works for a video game company, I have occassionally used her PS2 (and that makes me an expert like the guys who play doctors on TV :rolleyes: )

10. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Oh and if you want to get really technical, you'd need a processor capable of performing at the level of a 250MHz MIPS III and a video card capable of rendering 640x480 video, and games highly optimized for the PowerPC processor and whatever video card you use. :cool:

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i can confirm this, when i play games like fable it drops framerate but it looks amazing on my 23" lcd.

12. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

You need any Mac with TV out, so you can take advantage of TV blurriness to hide the low quality of PS2-style 640x480 graphics :)

Seriously, games really DO look nice on a TV--you EXPECT blurriness there and so it doesn't bother you. It hides the defects. And all Macs (except PowerMacs depending on the graphics board) have TV out--just get the adapter from Apple for $20 or so.

But on the flip side, high-res LCD displays look great too: UT 2004 on my PowerBook looks so much better than a PlayStation in terms of all the crisp detail--full 1280x854.