Mac vs windows mouse

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clykins90, Apr 13, 2005.

1. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    I've been using a mac for a little while now, but there is one thing that I've always disliked, but now its starting to get annoying.

I'm used to the windows mouse moving smoothly and not accelerating like the mac does. Is there a way to change this? I remember reading something about it here on this forum, but I can't find it.
  2. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
  3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I feel your pain. There aren't really any satisfactory ways to disable acceleration on Macs. You can try a free product called MouseZoom to get much better performance, but the acceleration issue still lurks in the background.
  4. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Well, I honestly think this is one of those things that one must get used to while migrating to the Mac OS though I do agree that it should be a preference to decide how you want your mouse to move. I personally like it better; when going to use windows I have to get used to the way it works.
  5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I didn't even realize that happened when i switched. Just keep using it and you'll get used to it.
  6. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    It did bother me at first when I was playing around with some PowerBooks at the store with the trackpad. But on a normal mouse, it doesn't bother me. In fact, it can be helpful when doing detailed work in graphics or something, IMO.
  7. igucl macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2003
    The Microsoft Intellimouse that I bought for my iMac came with its own software that seems to override the Mac's natural mousing characteristics. I do like it better. I think it is more windows-like.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I feel the OP's pain too...although I *like* acceleration.

I use trackpad primarily. Sidetrack offers three acceleration modes -- Apple's trackpad and mouse acceleration, and a Windows-esque acceleration. The Apple trackpad is very nice -- it has good thresholding so that one can achieve accuracy in small moves. The Apple mouse is not that useable -- it doesn't top out at a high enough speed for me, so that swipes across the pad do not move all the way across the screen. The Redmond acceleration I find to aggressive for short moves (too ... linear?).

Anyway, some other possibilities: -- this is not free, but it is supposed to help with this. -- this driver might also help.
  9. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004

I'll let it pass this time, but one more wrong step and it'll be reported to the mods immediately

I think this this acceleration issue is just another practical detail where apples philosofy differs from windows. I've never used wondiws much, so haven't ever noticed myself. Neither the other way around when I've been on a windows machine - I guess there's just so many other things there distracting me. It seems a bit weak though that a highly customisable OS as apples doesn't have any good ways of changing it.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I don't like the Windows mouse acceleration... hehe.

It is just a different philosophy between the OSs. To each their own I guess.