Mac vs Windoz... this is a beauty !

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dalriada, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Dalriada macrumors 6502

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

That thing is so old. I saw it 4 or so year ago in a much larger verson

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

What a numbnuts :rolleyes:

I've just spent the past 2 days getting a ThinkPad up and running (windows AND linux) and boy did it take me down memory lane. Thank whatever diety there is for the Mac, otherwise I'd give up on computers all together.

It's not just the Mac OS that's easy to work with, the hardware is much easier, too. :)

5. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I think I've seen that floating around before. There are a few diferent versions. Its funny though because they have different people in them but they all say pretty much the same thing. What are these people passing around the same script or something?

In my opinion the video was a bit large. Maybe they could make it about half size smaller for those with a slower connection. :rolleyes:

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Strikes me as a sad piece of attempted viral marketing by our friends in Redmond. It just has that feel about it...

7. Dalriada thread starter macrumors 6502

But we all know the real truth behind Mac's brilliant OS... leave all the hordes to pull their hair with Windoz :D

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hnnngghhh!

Last night I decided to install SP2 on my Dell. I'm still trying.

The install seemed to go ok, but when trying to log in for the first time, Windows couldn't verify its license. Turns out this is a common problem with Dells, and I found the fix online (thankfully I have more than one computer).

So, I was able to get past the login screen. But during login it popped a message that I barely had time to read, saying it had come across a registry problem and was continuing after finding something or other in some file or log or something.

So I get to my desktop, everything looks ok, email and web browser works.

But I can't access my VPN. Same setup works on my laptop which doesn't have SP2. I thought it might be SP2's builtin firewall, but apparently the Security Service isn't running (presumably because of the registry error earlier) so I can't access any of the new security stuff. (I'm not exactly computer-illiterate, but I've never used a PC with SP2 before). I mess around with it for a couple of hours without success, then say "screw it, it's been over a year. It's time I reinstalled Windows anyway".

So I shove my Windows install disk into the CD drive and reboot. But it takes me to the login screen - hunnh? I log in and check "My computer" - no CD drive.

I go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager - there's a little yellow icon on the CD drive. Clicking on it brings up "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."

So I right-click on the device entry and select Update Driver. After a couple of screens it pops up with the message something like "Put your CDROM in the drive and hit OK". After hitting my head on the desk a few times, I press ok anyway, and Device Manager locks up.

This is where I'm at now - five hours spent on it so far ...

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

OT... It doesn't matter if Windows sees the CD drive or not, for your computer to boot off the CD drive, it's the BIOS that has to see it. Boot into BIOS and check it it sees the CD drive. If it does, make sure it's bootable. Make it first in the boot sequence to ensure the computer attempts to boot from the CD before Windows.

10. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I thought it is quite funny, annoying, but funny... But it's strange to see these things completely out of context, with no background information - is it a joke or an add that was never used. Is sombody serious about this (I hope not). Normally our perception of things is based a lot about our background knowledge about stuff like that.

Anybody knows where it came from?

A

11. bentley macrumors 6502

the guy is joking around...

not at all serious

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow-that just made my bad day worse! Why make something like this? An acting exercise? A really bad one if it is.

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

[Blush] I forgot that the software restart is not the same as a reboot.

Anyway two hours later and about five more restarts, I'm almost ready to reinstall SP2. Wish me luck.

14. qzak macrumors 6502

these and the other comments above like it just make me laugh. i just got my first mac like 2-3 weeks ago and yes, i like it alot, but i'm sticking with my home built pc for a desktop and going with my powerbook for a laptop. when those advertisements this guy is mocking that Apple themselves actually made came out, you were all for them saying they're great,funny, its soo true, blah blah i'm sure. This guy is obviously a Windows user and is just taking a crack at the stereotype Mac fanatic. Whats the expression, take it as a grain of salt? Apple attacked Microsoft in their ads, and this isn't even a real ad by Microsoft and you're gettin all mad over it.. just laugh at it like intended.

like i said, now i have both a PB and a homebuilt pc desktop, so it's not like i hate Apple. I just think sometimes those Mac users that are "micro$oft is the devil!" type people need to chill out. It's kinda like those people who say i'm not going to conform, down with corporate greed... do they not realized they just conformed into the "i dont conform" group?!?!

ok, enough rant.. sorry, just gets under my skin cause i like OS X and I like Windows, and there are times i think Windows is better suited for stuff, and times i think OS X is, so why be sooo one sided ya know. just my 2 cents....

15. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Is it just me, or is this guy describing problems that never happen on a mac?

I honestly have no idea what he's talking about. Just sounds like baseless propaganda.

On another note, his spasms of rage were funny.

But that's it.

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

That hilarious!!!

When he kicked the computer it sooo hurt his foot!!

“dam, really shouldn’t have done that!”

Macintosh has the last laugh: mauahaha

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My comment had nothing to do with the guy trashing macs. That someone would take the time to make something so dumb is what got me. In other words, don't people have something better to do?

18. Stratification macrumors regular

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It was sarcastic, people. Did no one watch the end???

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

totally argee with you here Blue.....sigh...only if this would go away

21. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

I agree the Mac Zealots need to take the Apples out of thier asses , stop taking it so damn seriously. It's a joke , and a very funny one i might add. Apple bashes M$ in one form or another everytime they get the chance. Switcher Ad's , "Redmond we have a problem" Ad's for Tiger just to name a few and no one gives a crap.

Mean while some jerk off who probabally lives in his mothers basement makes a stupid Video poking fun at Apple and everybody is about to get thier period. "Hint" It's a joke u r not supposed to take it seriously.

What you guys should do is bash Steve Jobs and company and tell him to get off his high horse. It's like ever since the ITMS took off and Apple's stock went through the roof this guy has had his head completely buried up his ass. everyday thier actions make them look more and more like the Greedy Evil Company we call Microsoft.

Apple used to be cool when they were the under dog (they still are in many ways)now like every other corporation that gets a taste of sucess if u even fart the same way as them they will let lose the lawyers on u. Attacking teenage college Kids just for reporting rumors. thats why i'm glad DVD Jon is teaching them a lesson in that no one is untouchable.

Apple keeps this were so superior crap up and they will face the wrath of every young hacker who want's to make a name for them selves just out of pure spite and once the Viruses come rolling in the mac platform will go straight to hell as it would have lost one of it's greatest advantages over windows.

Apple needs to know it's place and stop trying to be the new Microsoft.

22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Interesting comments from someone who has "GOD uses a mac" in his signature. Seems you have fallen off your high horse. :rolleyes:

23. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That's the most infantile thing I've heard in a while. I hope you don't mind any price increases passed on to the consumer in the future ..or do you plan on just pirating Tiger to "stick it to the man"?

24. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

That's hilarious, I had never seen that before. I think most of you are taking it too seriously, it's a joke. If you can laugh at MS/Windows jokes, why not this? You shouldn't take anything too seriously. Still, it is not quite as funny as BSOD haiku.

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agree with you here

i can live with people ripping on apple, or ms, or any company they dont like, its their opinion, but some people are annoying when they do it, and i just dont like the way this guy did his video, my opinion and taste thats all

DVD Jon, well thats another issue right now and im not going to get into that...