Mac Web Server Large File Support?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glazed, Mar 30, 2007.

1. glazed macrumors newbie

Hello

How can I server Large Files (>2GB files) on the Personal Web Server? And if I can't use that one - then are there any alternatives?

regards,
    glazed

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Personal Web Server uses Apache, the most popular web server in the World. The US Army uses 4D WebSTAR for its Mac-based webserver.

Word to the Wise: You are likely to make your ISP very unhappy if you attempt to serve files in the 2 GB size range. You should get its rate card for files of this size. You will probably be better served by getting a commercial host for your needs. You may be satisfied with one that will do the job free.

3. glazed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input, although You didn't answer my question as far as I can see.

I am not going to host >2GB files on the internet. I am going to use the web server to transfer files to my Playstation 3. Using a web server is the only way to transfer files >4GB since the external USB disks you plug in the PS3 must be formatted as FAT32 which has a 4GB limit.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is certainly doable - Apache has no internal file size limit, and can handle files as big as the host operating system can. Basically, I don't see any reason why what you're trying to do wouldn't work. :)