.mac widgets

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonywalker23, May 27, 2005.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

has anyone heard or read anything about the .mac member free widgets? the logo is on the mac.com site but it has been the same 'coming soon' logo since apr 29,

tony

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

where do you see this logo at? I check the .mac page and I didn't see it

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yep, it's been there forever. No widgets, no Backup 3.0, no storage increase, no idisk speed increase. I'm beginning to have the feeling that renewing my account wasn't such a smart decision after all. :(

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Everything about .Mac is slow or half-assed. Why will the widgets be any different? Best not to install them IMHO.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

'Coming when we get around to it' would be more fitting.

They have changed the website a little bit though.

6. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I Doubt they can be bothered now seeing that there are a lot of widgets being developed. I still want that Ebay one if they do offer some (better be localized).
    And yes i wish .Mac was a little better (and cheaper!), for what u get it is overpriced but i do really like the syncing features in Tiger that you couldn't use without it. Come on Apple, 250mb storage is rubbish for a fairly pricey service and idisk is slow as hell

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I was just thinking today that they need to change .Mac radically. Give back teh free accounts, but you can only use them for syncing (no file server, homepages, etc.). Then you have different tiers for different services. Just something thats been on my mind lately. And they need to at least give us some idea of what they plan to use the widgets for if they are going to make us wait this long.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

with 10 new widgets every day on apples download website i wonder how this .mac widgets can be exclusive anyway? they are either .mac specific (check for .mac server downtime or idisk slowness) or they are just versions of what's out there anyway. then you rather wait until optimized versions of that widget are available on the plenty for free sites.

sorry for being negative.........

9. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Yeah, but look at what is on Apple's site right now. Some of the widgets are real crappy made by third parties. Apple could partner up with some major companies, like ESPN, ebay, CNN, etc. and offer some kick-ass widgets that are only available to .Mac members. I know there are ebay and CNN widgets out there, but they're not pretty. And they're not made by their respective companies or with help from Apple.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

and why would cnn be interested to limit their exposure to less people? i thought they would want to have their news widget on every desktop, not only on .mac users.

but you're right, apple could make widgets that already exist more apple like.
    i hope they come up with some useful stuff since i extended my .mac subscription last week.
    thought hard about it. but right now i have to much other things going on so i didn't want to set up another service, change e-mail and stuff.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I clicked on .Mac + Tiger and it was in the middle column:

Attached Files:

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the free exclusive widget ad disappeared from the .mac site. but still no widgets to see. :confused:

so, do we get widgets or what?

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

You're right. Now that's interesting. They better give us some as it would be false advertisement if not. Geez I'm getting fed up with this *§@"

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...my guess is that what will finally appear at some point for .Mac users is a set of widgets that may be "shareware" for others be "free" for .Mac users, and that at the moment Aplle are just deciding/negotiating what is in that set...oh yeah!

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It definitely takes them long enough...

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They're still mentioned on the Members page (see attached pic) – as for them being shareware widgets, they are described as being 'exclusive' for .Mac members. As others have mentioned they may well put .Mac functions into Dashboard (iDisk space, new email, etc) – that is, if they ever see the light of day... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm guessing they'll be .Mac related widgets. Stuff like how much space you've got left on your iDisk etc.

18. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

.mac widgets no more....obviously couldn't be bothered in the end to try and innovate some other cool ones

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i was wondering what happened to these free widgets for .mac subscribers

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine still says 'Exclusive Widgets coming soon' on the Members Central page but not holding my breath since I'm convinced they'll be .mac related ones about iDisk space and page views...

21. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler