Mac Wifi USB Stick vs. Original Airport Card??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Loomish, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Loomish macrumors newbie

Loomish

Hey everyone,

I'm super confused. I'm trying to go wireless with my G3 ibook800 MHz,OS 10.3.9. What's the difference between a Mac compatible WiFi USB stick and the original 802.11b Airport cards? The USB is half the price of the card. This ebay link makes the original Airport card seem obsolete. Whats the catch? I just need to save money, I'm a poor student!

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-USB-WIREL...ryZ80060QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you!
    Heather

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I can't offer much personal experience with Macs and wireless, but I know that for some reason Macs don't play well with USB when it comes to networking. I could not, no matter how hard I tried, get a USB modem to work. The item on eBay is not made by Apple. I have seen similar things supposedly compatible with OS X and which are suspiciously cheap, and they seem to get bad reviews (I think D-Link do a USB wireless adapter too). My colleague has the same computer as you and the same dilemma; in the end she plumped for an airport card because in the end reliability and lack of frustration is worth the money. See if you can get some good deals on a second-hand Airport card; they're easy to install.

3. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

If your mac supports an Airport card, go with it, as it will be easier to use and was designed for the computer. USB wifi dongles require you to plug and unplug them when you want to pack your laptop away. Spend the extra $ for an Airport card.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Seriously, just go with the airport card...it works better!

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I had tried to use a D-link USB wireless adapter and it would work ok for a few minutes then the computer would lock. Never was able to get it to work right and ended up buying an airport card.

6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

the USB adapters work for the laptops, but you need to run third-party software in order for it to work properly. I had a D-Link wireless USB adapter and it was a pain. Airport cards are much better and the reception is much better since the LCD has the antenna around the LCD frame. Instead of the little adapter being an antenna....the whole LCD is....which means better signal strength.

If any of u guys want an airport card, I got one. Just let me know.

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

i have also had problems with a D-link usb card and ended up opting for an AirPort card