Mac will change everybody's life in 2004?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Dec 31, 2003.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

The articles's writer, Charles Arthur thinks so. ^_^

The whole article is worth reading. Even the non-mac related parts.

—>_Link to the complete article <—

Extracts from the article:

"...The ubiquity of the iPod, the return of the Mac, and the simplicity of the portable memory stick are just some of the developments that could change our lives in 2004. Charles Arthur offers his predictions for a year of innovation..."

"... My advice: If you're buying a computer in the coming year, don't get one that uses Windows. It's simply too insecure. (Did you know there's a secret "administrator" account and password on every machine? You didn't? Every hacker does.) Get one with the Linux operating system installed (Evesham does them, for example) or an Apple machine running OSX. Both systems are fast, stable and secure. With Windows XP... well, sometimes two out of three really IS bad."

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, that is nice to see someone in the media talking about security. Instead of the idiot that claimed that OS X was as insecure as Windows because of one major security update with reguards to X.

3. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Damn, that is huge for a government to stop using Microsoft. AWESOME> Now if the US government could get its head out of its ass long enough to realize that Microsoft is a major threat to the welfare and security of the US, and go with an opensource alternative, that would be very cool.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

"Some federal agencies in France, China and Germany, as well as the city government of Munich, have opted to use Linux not just on servers but also on individual workstations. Entire national governments, including those in Britain, Brazil, Japan, South Korea, China and Russia, are exploring open source alternatives to Microsoft."

There is always hope that the US government might move away from Microsoft. My hope would be that the move would be toward Apple. Since Al Gore is on the Board of Directors, he should use his influence to help Apple. Al always said that he was for efficiency.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

It'll only change my life if Apple comes up with a sub $800 headless...

7. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

While that would be cool, it is also almost impossible and against what we believe in. There should just be a fair share for all OS's and they should somehow talk to each other better than what MS is doing. That way MS can become the Daewoo of software while others become the BMW's and Lexus'.
    I think there is a trend here and we might be moving now in the right direction, the future looks good for open source and dim for MS's totalitarian attitude.

edit: when I say impossible, I mean Apple being a dominant platform in computing.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i should point out that the contracts for the Department of Homeland Security, the agency required to interface with just about every agency in the US, are exclusively microsoft. But i think the Army and possibly other armed forces use Macs, for security purposes... and we've seen the Panther implementation of the various agency login screens... could be a step in the right direction.

paul

9. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Interesting article. The mention of having a stripped-down OS on a USB stick got me thinking of the "Home on the iPod" rumor. Do you think we'll ever see that?

Squire

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Daewoo isent that bad

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Daewoo -- Execpts for their cars. :rolleyes:

Good Publicity.