Mac Win network troubles.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ashleigh, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Ashleigh macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have read the excellent tutorial here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704) (about the 10th I have read I believe) with high hopes as there were processes mentioned that I had not done before. I followed that tutorial to the letter.

After trying another forum for support and getting no desired feedback, I am trying this one after reading for a while.

System:
    OS X 10.4.8 and XP Proffessional (SP1 for reasons I'm not going into)

I have tried every method of connection I know, even a direct crossover cable remained useless. Though I would much rather not have to be wired.
    For that other topic, its here if you want info on the other methods I tried.

IPs:
    The wireless router is a Linksys (I know I know) and the macs ip is 192.168.1.100 and the XP 192.168.1.103.

Shared, permissions:
    Shared harddrive on XP has a sharename of (C) (cannot change for some reason.) Mac allows Windows File Sharing and has my account set. Internet is fully accessible from both machines.

Errors:
    Error message from Run>IP on XP is "\\192.168.1.103\Ash The network path was not found"

Error message from mac is "The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://192.168.1.100/(C)" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)"

Firewalls:
    Windows firewall is OFF, Zone Alarm allows ips 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.255 into the "Trusted zone"
    To my knowledge the mac has no firewall.

It may pay you to follow the link to the other forum as I may have missed out some information here.

Thank you for your time :)

~Ash

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try "escaping" the parentheses.

i.e. access the share as smb://192.168.1.100/\(C\)

This worked from a linux box to XP from smbclient on the command line.

B

3. Ashleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for trying, but that didn't fix the problem.

~Ash

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The parentheses are at least one part of your problem.

If the backslashes didn't work, try some other way to escape them, double quotes or try URI style escapes like smb://192.168.X.X/%28C%29

B

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Can you ping the windows machine?

open Terminal, and type:

ping 192.168.x.x

6. Ashleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

I will keep the parentheses problems in mind. Though it won't connect from the Windows side either, so it can't be the only thing.

Pinged successfully (didn't do that before from the net stats thing...)

Ashs-Mac:~ Ash$ ping 192.168.1.103
    PING 192.168.1.103 (192.168.1.103): 56 data bytes

Pinged from cmd in windows:
    [​IMG]

May as well try connecting again if it pinged... Nope, nothing with parentheses, with %28 %29 or backslashes (%5C). Just gives that same error after quite a wait. Windows also gives the same message as before.

~Ash

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you're already in terminal, try accessing it from smbclient.

Try
    Code:
    smbclient -L //192.168.1.103/
    and then
    Code:
    smbclient //192.168.1.103/\(C\)
    it works like a command line ftp client.

The %28 syntax didn't work from the command line on linux so it could be that Finder is mangling the address in a way that smbclient can't ultimately deal with it.

B

8. Ashleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

I just keep getting timeouts.

In interest, is that first code supposed to be the mac or the windows address?

Thank again for trying, I appreciate it!

~Ash

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

What happens if you use Finder to connect to just:

smb://192.168.1.103

On mine, after it asks me to authenticate, then it shows me the shares that the XP box has available.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Should be the Windows address.

B

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Also, FWIW, your ping shows some serious delays.

Where I work, we have 3000+ retail stores around the country connected back to us via a satellite network. It's very hit or miss when it comes to mapping a drive from Windows to a store that's showing timeouts and 1000ms+ times in its pings. :confused:

12. Ashleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, I had a glimmer of hope about using the wrong ip :lol:

So, keep trying? And as for that speed... I don't know...

Well, I guess I will keep hammering it, but any other ideas, welcome!

thanks for your time.

~Ash

13. FireArse macrumors 6502a

tricky one...

Try go offline, but keep the router on. Then take down all windows security/firewall. I work from my mac, but access the windows share. I really haven't had ANY issues with it. 'It just works'

I think either a Firewall issue, or you mentioned a users thing. Could your user setup on windows make any difference? Have you shared the drive to all? This really should be basic. I certainly think its the windows box causing you grief. Borrow a friends laptop and plug it into the LAN.

F

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you perhaps on wireless and connected to the wrong network?

Once when trying to debug a similar connection issue, I discovered I was in fact connected to my neighbor's open wireless network instead of mine, which is why I wasn't seeing my Windows box. :p

Since they were both linksys routers similar IP addresses were being handed out.

B

15. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

i gave up trying to connect to my winXP machine so I use it to access my MAC directly.

I even show my MAC from another place with my dyndns address with all the firewall up and makes me wonder about the safety of mac sometimes if i have left it wide open..

If you find a solution to your problem please share.e

16. Ashleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I missed a post, just using the ip to connect has the same outcome.

The drive is completely shared to anyone on the network. I will kill ZA and see what happens.

All other networks around here are locked, as is mine, this is the only linksys here, 100% signal and my password is required.

I would love to say its Windows' fault, but I need to see if I can get to my brothers laptop :p

With ZA dead, it works!!! Stupid thing, guess I had better get another firewall or get it to work with it... The amount of attacks I get a day isn't great... Thats windows for you!

Thank you all for your time, though I feel as though I have wasted it with such a simple solution.

Thank you all again!

~Ash

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ashleigh-

I bet that ZoneAlarm is blocking SMB traffic. Most firewalls have a list of rules. If I were you, I'd look at the list of rules and switch the one that's blocking SMB from "Deny" to "Allow". That should do the trick.

18. Ashleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

As it turns out, it wasn't properly allowing the ip range through.
    After getting it to allow the IPs, I ended up using a direct crossover cable as the Wifi is ridiculously slow.
    And for some reason, this time, enabling the ethernet didn't fry my Wifi, so I can still go on the internet wirelessly and have the computer set up :)

So, problem solved!

~Ash