Mac/Win networking HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stevp1, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Stevp1 macrumors regular

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to things networked, but this one has me stumped...

It appears my PB with OSX 10.2 has won an election for master browser. Being the good Republican machine that it is, I'm sure it's doing a fine job.

However, I'm now unable to browse any of the shares on my Win box. As that's where I'm currently storing my itunes tunes, it's a little frustrating.

Any help on restoring the master browser to the Win box (or dropping from the PB) would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Edit: It seems I can connect to my PB from the Win box just fine. When I try to connect to the PC box from the Mac via Go:connect to server, I get "no response from the server". This is whether I try the server name or IP address. I can ping the Win box just fine, too. It's only when I try to connect to shares. I'm not really sure if it's got anything to do with the above master browser problem, it just seems like too much of a coincidence.

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Why are you saying that the PB became the master browser? What kind of evidence you have to prove this. The only time I've had issues with comptuers fighting to be the master browser was with a WINS server and backup WINS server. However, the PB doesn't really use WINS (it does, but not primarly), it uses DNS. Ontop of that, WINS master servers are reserved to NT server (IIRC). If you can say why you think it's the master browser, that's a great place to start.

BEN

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You need to tell Samba not to let itself win (or, for that matter, participate in) elections. This'll have to be done by hand - so I'd suggest reading the man page for smb.conf.

Specifically you need to set "local master = no" for that particular share, or globally.

4. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

My Win box's event viewer says so. The first event says the PB was forcing an election, then a subsequent message says the Win box is attempting to contact the PB as the master browser. Dang microsoft!

5. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess bottom line is I can no longer get to my PC shares from my Mac. It started about a week or two ago. When I finally got to investigate last night, I found the browser issues on the PC. I can ping the PC from the Mac, but cannot connect to the shares. I can connect to the Mac from the PC just fine, just not the other way.

I'm assuming this is because of the master browser stuff, but I'm open to other suggestions.

edit: Ok, it looks like I can ping the IP address, but not the name of the win machine. In windows I could add an entry to the LMhosts file, but i'm not sure what the Mac equivalent is.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Check the Directory Access utility and make sure nothing's turned on or filled in that shouldn't be.

7. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I've got the follwing checked:

AppleTalk
    LDAPv3
    Rendezvous
    SLP
    SMB

I'm not really sure what I need. I only connect to this windows PC. Do I just need SMB?

Edit: SMB is set for the same workgroup name as the PC...

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

On a normal Mac OS X installation, all 5 of those are turned on - so you're OK there. Next thing to check is the configuration for the ones that are checked AND let you configure them.

EDIT: Check the WINS server under SMB configuration. Is it blank?

9. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is blank. I have the correct workgroup name, but Wins server is blank.

10. Altimaniac macrumors newbie

Me Too!

I too, am experiencing similar problems. This started happening on my office network in late September. I too, have seen similar suggestions to rectify this but none have worked.

This network has 6 Macs with OSX version X.35, 8 PCs have XP with service pack 1 or 2, PC server WIN 2000 and an OSX.32 Server. We have no Active Directory service running.

When using a common Workgroup, I turn my Windows File Sharing on and within 3 hours my PCs can't see the workgroup. I can go to my Dos Prompt, type in "nbtstat -a 192.0.0.1" and it will show JEFFS-MAC. In the following list it will show "..__MSBROWSE__><01> GROUP Registered". In those 3 hours the PCs have held an "election" and voted my Mac as the Brows Master. Microsoft claims that Master Browser priority begins with; PC server, XP client, XP home client, NT client, 2000 Pro client, etc..... No mention of any other platforms running any flavour of Samba.

I have tried putting the Macs (with Windows File Sharing turned on) in a separate Workgroup. The PCs were happy, however the Macs were not able to view items in their own workgroup. This of course is not a real problem as the Macs can use AFP and TCP/IP.

In Directory Access I had AppleTalk, Rendevous, SLP, LDAPv3 and SMB active. As a test I have turned off the LDAPv3. I have no LDAP services enabled here at my office, so today I have disabled my LDAPv3 and will let you know if that resolves my network problems. After two hours no election has been held. The WIN 2000 server is still the Browse Master and my PCs can access the Workgroup they are set up in.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What's this Master Browser business?

I'm not familiar with all this "Master Browser" stuff - in fact, these forums are the first place I've heard of such a thing.

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Given that this appears to be a problem with Apple's generated smb.conf file, I'm hoping someone here has filed a bug report with Apple. But in the meantime seriously - read the smb.conf documentation (see my older post, above). I think you can solve these "master browser" issues if you're willing to edit smb.conf manually (again, see my previous post).

Apple has done a great job with OS X overall, but there are still a few spots here and there that need work. Having been a Linux user and admin for a while, I'm probably less squeamish about getting into the innards of things like Samba. :D It's not a big deal - just be sure to make a copy of smb.conf prior to doing any edits. If you break something, just use your copy to undo your changes.

13. angelneo macrumors 68000

I found this on the web:

I think it is to add the line in the smb.conf in your mac to avoid being the master browser

EDIT: oops, just saw that someone has posted it.

14. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

as an update, I did make that change to the smb.conf file a couple of weeks ago when it came up, but still no luck connecting to the PC. I haven't had time to really troubleshoot the PC yet, but nothing changed on it when all this started.

I'm still open to suggestions is anyone has anything else to try.

Thanks gang.

Steve

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hmm... so it's not possible that this is coincidental with an XP Service Pack 2 update? (grasping at straws)

16. Altimaniac macrumors newbie

I too have edited the smb.conf file and have not experienced any changes. Stevp1, what type of Mac and PC configuration do you have? This seems to be a problem that relatively few people are experiencing.
    I have...
    PC/Unix router for internet access
    WIN 2003 server for Accounting and PC/Mac file services No WINS service
    OS X server v.32 with access for PC clients
    Apple Internet router for accessing an old dot matrix Imagewriter printer
    6 Macs with 10/100bT running OS X v.35
    6 PCs with XP (service pk 1 and 2)
    Cable modem for internet access
    3Com 10/100/1000bT switch
    Manual TCP/IP configuration
    Directory Access config on Macs
    Active services are AppleTalk, LDAPv3, Rendevous, SLP and SMB. SMB has a workgroup assignment but no WINS server assigned.

I just got off the phone with Apple and they asked if I had a WINS service active on the PC server. I do not, how about you? They have given me a case number to escalate this issue. I will update this post when I have any new news.

17. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just got a small one to one home network. It's my 17" PB and a homebuilt PC running windows 2000 server. I don't remember if I have WINS running on the PC. I'll have to check tonight.

I found out I have some connectivity if I type the full SMB path in the Go to server window (smb://PCname), but it still won't come up and mount automatically in the finder, and it takes an awful long time to connect.

Thanks, I look forward to more info.

Steve

18. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

That really does sound like a firewall issue.

19. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm totally inside my firewall. Could it be something in OSX's built in firewall? Although I don't think that's on either.

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Not that firewall...either the Mac OS X built-in firewall, a firewall on the Windows machine, or both are interfering.

21. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Ah, Windows Server 2003 rang a bell, so I did some searching and now I remember why...

Have you changed the settings on this server so it doesn't require digitally signed communications? If not, that may be the problem. You have to change a registry key - information is mentioned in this discussion:

http://www.macwindows.com/Win2003.html

22. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

As master browser for windows basically keeps track of network info for windows networks. It contains what machines are out there and there IP address. it is kinda like a DNS server when there are no servers to be had.

23. Stevp1 thread starter macrumors regular

as a long overdue .ps, the peecee dies within a week after my last message. proc or mobo crapped out. I don't know if it was related, but its a moot point now.

so...do i rebuild the PC or go for a Mac Mini...hmmmm, tough choice. :rolleyes: