Mac WMP unable to play clips

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mannequin, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Mannequin macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I downloaded and installed windows media player. Now i am trying to listen to sound clips on websites like amazon.com. I click on them and what happens is I get a blank pop up window and thats it. Its like its trying to open a new window in the browser in stead of playing the clip but nothing is there. When I used to use PC what would happen is it would just open windows media player and start playing. I don't know if there is some setting that I'm missing or what. I'm very new to mac so I'm sorry if this is just a dumb question :)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If the clips are in WMP 10 format, they won't play on the Mac OS X version of the player, probably because this would give users another reason to switch.

You might look for mplayer, as it may be compatible with more clips.

3. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

When I try, it opens a new window with a blank player and then doesn't play the media at all. Have you tried opening it in real player?

4. Mannequin thread starter macrumors newbie

No I havent downloaded real player yet. I guess I will try that.

Is MPlayer for audio files or just video?

thanks!

5. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

6. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Windows Media Player for Mac doesn't include DRM support. As a result any DRM'd file will not play. You'll get "unsupported format." It's really annoying, but Microsoft can do whatever they want.

Could this be your hang-up?

7. Mannequin thread starter macrumors newbie

8. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Realplayer will work for you, but does anyone know how to have it stream the music without having to download that .ram file?!?!? I know I can copy and paste the location, but thats just a pain. I just want to click on the link and have it open realplayer.

9. grobbins macrumors member

If Safari is not handing off the ram files to RealPlayer, either double-click the ram file icons in Safari's downloads window, or else just use RealPlayer's built-in web browser to click the audio/video links. (Click the document/globe icon in RealPlayer's window to open the browser window.)