Mac won't boot into Panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 13, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, I just got this mac yesterday, everything was working perfectly fine, installed up to 10.3.6 amongst other things and that. Well, now when I turn on my mac (the first time I did this morning) it brought up a verbose (grey text on black - command line) screen asking for login, I put in my information and that, but it didn't work. Well, I can't figure out how to restart the iMac so I unplugged it and plugged it back in, turned it on, now it won't go past the grey apple on white bg w/the thing turning. I've let it sit for a few minutes and nothing. Right now I'm going to go try single-user mode see if I can do anything there. I don't have the panther CD, but I know where I can get one.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Did you get it new or used? It sounds like that could be an Open Firmware password but I have never seen one so I don't know for sure. If it is you will need to contact whoever you bought it from and get the login and password.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Used, he gave me the username and password used for logging in and that, but it didn't work. I got it back to the screen where it shows:

Login: xxxxx xxxxxx
    Password:
    Login Incorrect

I tried to update prebindings, but it didn't update any, I tried to force it, still nothing. I'm going to see if my teacher can burn me a Panther CD.

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

If it is the said iMac G3 that's listed in your signature, you might want to also check for a firmware update before you try Panther again.

Try the web link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

I doubt this has anything to do with the password screen you are getting, but should (must) be done if you are going to run X on this machine (assuming it had 9 before.)

Edit: Also: I'm not sure that your iMac will recognize the full capacity of a 60 gig drive if you put it in . . . might want to look into that.

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, no luck here at school, no one has an OS X Panther CD and my teacher'll be out for 2 more weeks. Looks like I'll be buying Panther.