mac won't read data dvds from pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joekernan, Oct 16, 2006.

1. joekernan macrumors newbie

I burned mp3s onto dvds using my PC for my sisters mac. She said the mac won't recognize the disks. I used deepburner to burn the dvds. Is there some special format I need to use when burning them? I'm in the US and she is in the UK, do data dvds use NTSC/PAL formats the way video dvds do? Please help.:confused:

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I think it will work... don't see why it wouldn't? Know anybody with a Mac or pop in to your local apple store and stick the DVD in a computer and see :)

I guess if the MP3's were downloaded from a legal online music store they might not work in iTunes, if they were ripped of a CD or are from iTunes on a PC it should be ok? Anybody else...?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you can, avoid the DVD+R discs. Older Macs only officially supported DVD-R media, even for reading.

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Did you burn them in UDF (Universal Disk Format)? Thats the standard way to produce DVDs are. How old is the mac? If its pre-os x that may be a problem.... Also, if there's an unclosed session on the disk, that may be a problem too..

5. joekernan thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if my dvds are dvd+ or -R. I'm going to check with my sister to see how old/what model mac she has, buy some dvd-r and try again. They are just mp3s ripped from cds. I wonder if I need to go spend money on a burn software like nero or roxio. Thanks

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, on the list of really stupid, none too stupid questions to ask... does your sister actually have a DVD-compatible drive at all? ;) *That* would certainly make them hard to read. :D

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you're using Windows XP, just burn them in Windows Explorer. I'm concerned that the software you're using is burning them in some format that's weird some how. Discs burned in Windows Explorer will work fine in a Mac. Of course you do need to make sure that the Mac has a DVD-capable drive, and it probably should be running OS X.

8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yea, I was justgoing to suggest that.

Ususallly XP burns in UDF 1.0 format (IIRC).
    Just use that.

9. joekernan thread starter macrumors newbie

dvd-r worked

I reburned onto dvd-r and mailed to my sister. It worked! woo hoo dvd-r seems to be preferred by here mac. thanks for all the help.

10. acidity macrumors regular

Sorry for hijacking this thread but wat are good free options for Mac OS X (new Intel MacBook bought two months back) for DVD burning???

I am curently using FireStarter FX for CD burning.....

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Disco just came out, and is $14.95 at least for now (supposed to go up to $24.95 really soon). I'm not sure what kind of DVD burning you need to do, but Disco will handle burning of Video_TS files. If you need something more sophisticated than that, check out Roxio Popcorn or Roxio Toast.

BTW, you should have started a new thread. Much more likely to get replies that way...

12. acidity macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I knew about Disco and Roxio but they were not free and being a student, I can ill afford to pay now but I guess I will have to pay in the end :)

I will give the default writer that came with my MacBook also a try. Hopefully, it will do the simple jobs that I want to do.

Thanks anyway.