.mac won't sync

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Jan 2, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I'm trying to sync my computer to my .Mac account and when I attempt to do that using System Preferences/.Mac I'm getting this error message:

Invalid response received from .Mac. Could not complete synchronization - please try again later

I've tried for two days now??? I know the .Mac account is valid, I can sign in to .Mac, etc. What could be the problem. I Repaired Permissions on the 30th of Dec. I do it on a monthly basis.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.
    Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the system's date correct? This is not the date in the iCal Widget but the date from the drop down clock in the Menu Bar. :)

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Here are some things to try that may reset the syncing (if you're lucky, meh heh heh).

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Is the system's date correct? This is not the date in the iCal Widget but the date from the drop down clock in the Menu Bar. <<

Yep. It's correct.

Frank

5. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Hiding them error messages

It's not just you, bud. My work iMac G5 syncs just fine.

At home, however, my Pismo *says* that it's syncing, shows a "last date synced", and lulls me into a false sense of hope. It's only when running a manual sync in System Prefs that it bothers to tell me there was a problem syncing.

I suspect that it simply doesn't like syncing over a 56k modem connection. Are you using a modem? That would help to confirm my suspicions (sp?).

Frustrating, isn't it?

6. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

I think you hit the nail on the head there. If you dont have broadband .Mac is not a good idea. Try creating a conplex series of mail folders (even with small size messages in them) and get they to "sync" with Mail 2.0 and it will be churning away for many minutes.

I eventually got contacts to sync properly but Bookmarks never has. Constanly having to reset it.

Gave up completely recently. Mac mail is now being forwarded to my old account and Auto Renewal has been "unticked" :eek:

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Are you using a modem? That would help to confirm my suspicions (sp?).<<

I have hi speed internet. 500 mbs speed.

Sounds like I'm not the only one.

Mac's are great, but syncing and setting up printers need work. I have the same printer model at home and at work, but I had to set up and install each printer separately. Strange stuff.

Frank

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>ould try resetting. Now, there at least three ways I know of to reset .mac sync and you should try each one and several times to try to clear the problem.

1) Via the advanced button
    2) via isync
    3) via .mac/preferences syncing (You access your .mac email account from a brouser). <<

The resetting worked. I did it via System Preferences/.mac.

Thanks.

Frank

9. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Before you break out the wine

Before you start to celebrate, try a "normal" sync after the "reset" sync. My reset syncs on the Pismo always work, but then fail thereafter.

PS - this thread made me think to bring my Pismo to work to try to sync it over a T1 connection. Wouldn't you know, it synced just fine - no errors. Guess the little guy just wants to get out more often. :)

10. elchenuk macrumors newbie

I'm getting this problem with syncing my iBook with .Mac
    sorry to resurrect this problem but I can't believe I've just shelled out £60 for a service that doesnt work for me!
    I've tried resetting the 'reset sync data' from the .Mac prefs but I just get the error message 'Invalid response received from .Mac. Could not complete synchronization - please try again later'

Is there anything else I can do before I throw my iBook at the wall and go back to pen and paper?

thanks

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If it makes you feel any better I had a problem connecting to the .mac site early this morning, so it may have just been a temporary problem. Are you still unable to connect?

12. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

It's been a bit hit or miss all day, with some major periods when I haven't been able to connect via Mail.app. Likely something to do with upcoming upgrade of the webmail service...

jx

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Apple must be doing something with their servers. Yesterday and today I got ".Mac servers are busy" messages when trying to upload an iWeb page.

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I was having real problems with .mac this morning, too. I couldn't connect, either through the .mac site, or via Mail. Didn't have enough time to try any troubleshooting, but I'll try again tonight. Hopefully it is to do with the upgrade.

15. elchenuk macrumors newbie

Well I've tried and I've tried and still no joy, what a pain. I've sent an email to Apple support and if they don't come back to me within the next few days I'm going to demand my money back!
    It's annoying because I used .Mac a lot to sync stuf from work to home. :mad: