.mac worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tim1978, May 14, 2005.

1. tim1978 macrumors newbie

is .mac worth it? I have an iMac and a powerbook. I would use the email but I am not interested in storing or backing stuff up on line and do not want to create a web site.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think you pretty much answered your own question, no.

3. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

What about syncing?

You left out what, to me, is the one and only reason to have .Mac. Are your computers kept in different locations and do you want to keep them synced?

.Mac is an absolute godsend if one of your computers is at home and the other is at work and you want to keep your iCal, Addressbook, and Mail all synced up. Otherwise, you're pretty much having to decide on which is your "primary" machine and only entering data onto it. What a pain.

That said, I really wish .Mac would introduce iPhoto syncing. Now *that* would be great.

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

As is, No

I've renewed the last couple of times, but mainly just to keep my .Mac email address going.

Haven't used iDisk much in Tiger, but in Panther, it was pretty useless because it was SO slow. If Apple made it faster and increased the disk size to 1GB, it'd be a lot more useful.

All the extra download stuff is fluff for the most part. The syncing feature is OK but it's fairly limited.

5. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

My main motivation for subscribing was for Virex, but I note that they've stopped promoting this feature. I've heard that Tiger users have experienced some problems using Virex, and I've no idea whether McAfee intend to address this problem.

I find the website builder pretty good (albeit chronically slow) but, if all you really want is an email address, then there must be much cheaper options.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

get it. best 70 bucks i every convinced my parents to shell out by telling them i needed an AV program :p but seriously, virex gives me peace of mind what with these "widgets of doom" even though i still run panther, idisk is cool for sharing stuff, incredibly easy homepage creation, plus you can change your homepage *anywhere* in *any recent browser* and tons of cool stuff. plus you can tell your friends (my email address is at mac<dot>com! i just got it last night and i've already made a homepage, backed up a lot of stuff to my idisk, done a virus scan, i now use my .mac id for aim and set up Mail to use it, so many things you can do with it, not even mentioning syncinf features, ical, icards, etc.

7. deelerious macrumors newbie

You can increase the disk size to 1GB for an additional $49/yr.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Virex 7.2 seems to work fine with Tiger- 7.5 doesn't... Odd, but true...

9. deltrotter macrumors regular

I just reinstalled Tiger yesterday and set myself up with a @mac.com email address. Does this address expire if i don't subscribe to .mac?

Cheers

Del

10. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

too small for storage or email

the idea of .mac isc cool but it's too expensive when gmail and aol are giving you 2Gb's of email for free!

11. oriol macrumors member

oriol

if u have the money do it, if not don't even think about it get a Gmail u r set.

my two cents

12. oriol macrumors member

oriol

i asked the same thing like 1 week ago and not after .Mac expires u can keep ur @mac.com account.

my two cents

13. J_Berg macrumors newbie

intranet version of .mac (or similair)?

I really like .mac to sync my files between my laptop and my desktop. But I have no need to keep them online (other than the piece of mind of having them instantly backed up.) Is there any software out there that any of you are using that works to sync folders between two computers on on network? I'd love to keep my home directory identical on both machines, instead of waiting for large files to upload to the .mac server.

14. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I noticed they have changed their Virex page stating this now as well!
    So I guess there is no short term fix for 7.5 - so looks like I have to go back to 7.2.

Many others reload this?

15. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

well this works if you're only going to be doing email, anything else you're out of luck.

16. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

The account will expire if you don't renew. you will lose the ability to use it for email. The only thing you'll be able to still use it for if you don't renew is ichat.

17. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

to me, it's been totally worth it. i was lucky enough to be working at Apple when they introduced .Mac, so they gave all the employees accounts the same as their @apple.com account, so it's just my last name. best email address i've ever had.

but it's not just the email. i use the iDisk more than i thought. i'm a designer & when i need to get a large file to the printer, i can throw it up on my .mac page, send them the link and they can download the file through their browser. we have a +/-3MB limit to files going through email here at work & it's nothing for me to have a 40MB ad or poster.

the iSync has saved me a couple times, too when i forgot someone's # or email, i realized that my work computer synced w/ my home computer, so it's already in my address book.

photos may not me a priority for you, but it's REALLY cool if you want to share some photos of say, your dog or your new place w/ people. just create a photo album in iPhoto, pick a theme, hit 'publish' & it's done.

but if it's solely for email...prob not worth it...

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

they might be making updates to .mac today that make it more desireable - it will be down today during the keynote. check out the 'something big is going to happen today' thread...