.Mac worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skibob1027, Jun 3, 2006.

1. skibob1027 macrumors member

Does anyone have any real opinions on the .Mac subscriptions? I'm new to Mac and don't really see any real benefit to a .Mac subspription. Most of the services offered can be had for free somewhere else, from what I can see. Does anyone else us .Mac or hav eany experience with it? Is there something I'm missing?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I use it. The integration with the OS is what keeps me too it than anything else (besides the fact that is has been my email address for a long time). .Mac is integrated with finder, mail, ichat, ical, iweb, system preferences, and more. ANd what you really have to think about is that the price is only 8.25 a month!:)

Finder can store an offline copy of your iDisk for when you don't have internet access, Mail makes it easy for .Mac users to get email (only have to type in username and pass, it knows everything else), iChat works seamlessly with .Mac, with the added benefit of encrypted chatting, iCal lets you publish calendars to .Mac, iWeb gives you one click publishing to .Mac, system preferences makes it easy to transfer and sync data between two (or more) of your computers.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If I switch from Entourage to Mail, will it sync my mail from non-.Mac accounts between my Macs? Will it keep the subfolders synced as well? It looks to me as if it only syncs what is on .Mac and the other account information, but not the mail itself.

4. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Definitely it is like a missing puzzle piece for ilife.

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

here's a similar thread which might help answer some questions.

6. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

It just seems to me that between Google, Hotmail, Photobucket, Blogger, etc. you can cover all of these bases. Sure, they may not integrate with iLife, but they also don't cost $8.25 per month - they're free (big selling point)!

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Best thing to do is sign up for the 60-day free-trial, if you like using it then you can purchase, if not, you can leave.

I've registered for two trials, once last September when I first got my iMac and then once again very recently. Both times the 'killer' apps for me, mail and bookmarks syncing didn't cut it for me personally.

The e-mail can't be spoofed, so I can't use my own domain's e-mail address, not even as a 'reply-to' as I can with gmail and the bookmarks sync'ing just doesn't work. I've read through plenty of Apple Discussion posts and loads of people have the same problem. :(