Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
JFreak said:
i have a linux server online and can easily put in few hundred gigabytes of storage for the price of one year dotmac subscription, but i can't currently use those gigabytes as idisk (because i haven't so far had the time to figure out how to config the webdav). for now i access the storage space via (s)ftp, but idisk would just be so much easier.

apple promised itools would stay free. they just forgot to promise itools would stay online ;)

I never remember hearing that iTools would be free forever. I don't see the benefit of a company making a claim like that anyway.

wow, you can't figure out your server yet...guess that takes time and time is money now a days huh. :D

You also say that you could easily put a few hundred gigabytes of storage for the price of a .Mac subscription...well are you also for that price of .Mac able to support my email account, provide me with proprietary software for syncing bookmarks, address books, homepages, iCal calendars, public folders with password protection, and able to offer me free or discounted products like free photo prints, free photo software, etc. I doubt it.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I bought .Mac when I originally bought my iBook, I also have a PowerMac and I dont really care all that much about syncing both machines. My favorite part is the hoepage for iPhoto and iMovie. It works great when I take a bunch of photos at a party or something, come home plug in the camera, import to iPhoto and then click homepage.

I know how to do web pages, this just makes it easier so that all my friends can see the photos. The price for the service is high but it makes my life a little easier, which is the whole point of my Apple computers.

trianglejuice

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2003
Antwerp, Belgium
.Mac for your convenience

I think .Mac is great! I first used the free iTools version, and now I don't regret that I pay $100,00 a year.

This is why I use .Mac:

- It syncs everything! Three monthgs ago, my girlfriend spilled Coke on my iBook G4 and the hard disk data was totally lost. BUT: with .Mac I still had all my Safari Bookmarks and my iCal Calenders.

- Since that incident, I immediately downloaded Backup, which let me backup my most important data. Backup isn't for free when you aren't a .Mac subscriber (and it's really better than all those freeware backup apps).

- When you have movies you want to publish on your .Mac, iMovie provides the best compressing for it (you just have to choose ".Mac" from the compress menu; no further preferences (which can be difficult for video editing newbies).

- When you want to publish your photos from iPhoto, .Mac is also a handy tool.

- And finally... every x months you get free stuff via the .Mac main page. Cool games, tutorials for Apple apps (personally I don't need these, but they might help other people).

It's really worth your $100,00!
TriangleJuice.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Riddle me this...

iSync...Would I use this if I wanted to sync my calendar, contacts, etc. with my cell and my Palm, or is that something entirely different?

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
t300 said:
Riddle me this...

iSync...Would I use this if I wanted to sync my calendar, contacts, etc. with my cell and my Palm, or is that something entirely different?
Yes, that is iSync. :) But you can additionally use it to sync two computers via .Mac...
Cell is free, for the two (or more) Mac-syncing you need to pay for .Mac.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
t300 said:
How many people bought it? Is it worth it? I am getting my PB in a few weeks and am not sure if .Mac would be worth investing in right off the bat? What are some of your favorite features and what are some of them that totally justify the price for you?
flyfish29 said:
BUy it or don't. but don't tell other not to buy. INstead tell them why YOU are not buying and have them decide for themselves if it is worth it to them.
You know, if someone asks me what others think, he probably wants to know what others think. Still following me? Good, because I think I just stated my opinion and t300 is smart enough to decide whether he'll buy or not. :rolleyes:

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
.mac secure?

One thing I've always wondered about .mac is how secure it is. I'd love some of the features it provides like iDisk and whatever, but really don't like the idea of unencrypted personal files sitting around on Apple's (or anybody's) servers. Is there any kind of encryption to ensure that only the .mac subscriber is the one able to read non-public files? Or are the files stored unencrypted, with only password protection?

I'm sure Apple's servers are as hardened against attack as possible, but I'm wondering if they were ever compromised (from within or without) whether the data I stored over there would be safe. Any answers?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
TheT said:
You know, if someone asks me what others think, he probably wants to know what others think. Still following me? Good, because I think I just stated my opinion and t300 is smart enough to decide whether he'll buy or not. :rolleyes:

If you look at my quote in my post it was not directed in any way towards you TheT...you did just state your opinions and very well based on your expereinces...JFreak was quoted in my post that had the comment about not making judgements about .Mac for others.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
flyfish29 said:
If you look at my quote in my post it was not directed in any way towards you TheT...you did just state your opinions and very well based on your expereinces...JFreak was quoted in my post that had the comment about not making judgements about .Mac for others.
Well, I got that wrong I guess :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.