Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BPK1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2004
I'm new to macs and have heard how mac's don't get virus', or at least not very often. Is it worth $70, to get the virus protection? I'd use the other things too, but my main concern is the virus protection.

Thanks

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's worth it. I work on a PC during the day, and having access to my Address Book, which is tightly matched to my .Mac email address, well... I really like that. And the BackUp feature is nice, too. Since getting a new iBook I've been able to restore from my .Mac account and bring my Safari and Address Book up to speed real quick.

So if you need access to email and your address book while on the road and such, I recommend it. The Backup thing is kinda worth it, too, though more tech savvy users would just use server space somewhere else.

dvapplepro

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
I don’t think that .mac is worth any more then ten dollars. This is coming from a guy that has his own mail server, web server and has a TB file server running out of his house. They give you a mail server, sure but a lot of people do that for free. As with the web site that you make, it is so, so basic that it is great for simple families that would like to show there pictures or movie that the family has taken, other then that it will not really let you code in anyway. The last thing that I think that is really worth while is the backup and the syncing that will do the bookmarks and contacts. Other then that I don’t think that is really worth the 50 to 100 dollars.

Bobby The Gibbons
Crazybobby.com

mac-in-fool

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
For me it's worth it. Just the freeplay music that is availiable for the membership price, pays for it self. Other software included, like virex is also helpful. (though I have never had a virus in 4 years with a mac) Also a lot of companies are not accepting any form of attachments in email any more. I can direct them to a homepage that features, photography, video or resume. It is basic, and does not allow any customization, but it gets the job done, and does not require you to be a web master to get changes made.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I think mine is worth it. As far as virii are concerned, it is true that Macs do not get virii, but that is only due to the fact that no known Mac virii exist. Macs could still get them and you can still be a "carrier", passing them on to your friends who use windows. Other benefits, especially for new Mac users are the training offers. They offer a lot of other member benefits as well (free or discounted software, etc.). I love the syncing feature and even though I have a hosting service I use for my business I use the .mac hosting to create quick photo albums and a blog (got free from .mac, but no longer available) instead of messing around and creating it all myself.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
.MAC is a service for people who wants everything automated and done for them w/o effort. For $75 I can get 3 individual .com domains, host accts (http/ftp), and email accts. Meh, it's really up to you.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I like it because it is quick and easy. I have a party or something, come home plug in my camera, import and then post to the web, all with about 3 or 4 clicks of the mouse, then all my friends can view the photos.

I know HTML and how to make web pages and all that fun stuff, but just dont feel like it all the time when people just want to see the photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.