.Mac worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hoef, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

What your opinions on .mac ..... ? Do you recommend it for this new Apple user or is it so so ....

Cheers,
    Egon

2. svenr macrumors regular

Oh, not again!
    Why don't you just check a few of the other 2358 .mac threads around here?

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...exactly - there have been countless threads and debates about .mac. What you need to do is search and read those threads but more importantly - look at the features of .mac and decide which are useful to you and then decide for yourself if it is "worth it"....oh yeah!

4. jenniff macrumors member

Hehe. Or even ".Mac for $79.99" threads. ;)

5. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well since the topic's already here, and i have .mac let me answer from my point of view......

in my particular case.......i'm leaving to Spain in oct. to study, so i needed the idisk feature, the homepage, ..........so TO ME, it's been great, and i know it's going to be EVEN better when i leave.......

cuz that way i can send stuff to my friend/family/girl ........

i can upload tons of pics from my traveling, without having to subscribe to yahoo, or msn, or other crappy internet companies, to get a few MBs of space...........

so TO ME, it's definitely worth it!

6. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

just try it for free and learn how to use it correctly and see
    :)

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

For me I think that it would be totally worth it if they just increase the idisk by say... I don't... Maybe a gig at least! Come on 100 mb?! WTF :eek:

Everything else I like! :D

8. jenniff macrumors member

That's got to be the best advice I'd ever heard. I never even thought of that. Probably because when I sold it, I really, really didn't want customers to know that you could try it for free, because then I wouldn't necessarily get the sale. So I'd always be "BUY NOW! It's awesome! NOW!" and convince them that they really would benefit from the product, and they needed it now.

But yes, I agree with daveg5. Try it for free, and see for yourself.

9. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Yes = Beginners w/ no idea what they're doing. Have no clue on making a web page, upload, domain registration, web hosting.

No = Sane people who value their money and knows about making a web page, upload, domain registration, web hosting.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

take it easy on the newbie! I remember that it took me six months to realize one could search the fourms and how to do it properly. (my pet peeve- it needs to be more obvious...like the search on the home page, but for forums. currently it is difficult to find and know it is there.)

.Mac, is it worth it?

Another .Mac thread

This might work if this was not a new Mac user, but if they are buying a their first Mac (as they stated in their post) then they can't try for free AND still get the .Mac rebate thing at $69 or whatever it is now.

I ran into the same issue. I wanted to try it, but didn't have OSX so couldn't get a real fee for how I would use it, etc. so I had to just pay the $69 to try it. Now I love it for most everything it has to offer. Sure, if I put in more time I could do some of the stuff for much cheaper, but Apple has worked their magic and made backing up easy and syncing bookmarks, mail, etc. easy as well.

I would go over the Apple.com page and become familiar with what .Mac can do, decide if these things are things you would use and the go for it or not. I would say the only thing I think doesn't work well based on what Apple claims is Backup. the CD/DVD part works flawlessly for me. The online backup is slow, but I think that is because I have a DSL line that has incredibly slow upload speeds...slower than most DSL upload speeds. It seems to work fine, just slow the first time you back up. The weekly backups work well and quite fast.

I also take advantage of the referral program. I have knocked the cost of next years .Mac price from $99 to 39 due to three new .Mac users that put me as a referral when they signed up. They give you 20% off for each referral...5 referrals makes it free for a year. (By the way, if anyone wants to support a very poor grad student [who has two kids and is going to be just as poor after graduation because I will be working in public education] just put me down as a referral and I get another 20% discount. My email is flyfish29@mac.com which you simply enter it in the referral box when signing up for .Mac.) :D

Good luck deciding.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Me = Sane person with more money than time and who enjoys the convenience. And yes I do know how to set it all for myself. I just can't be bothered.
    You = Sane person with more time than money.

It's a difference of opinion on what it's worth to the individual concerned. Don't slag people off because they use something you don't see any value in.

12. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

Yes

It's a very convenient and in my opinion very worthwhile. I like my .mac email address, the convenience of the idisk and the Backup feature - for me it's a great combination.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Gonna have to disagree. I have .Mac and I also know how to make a webpage, upload via FTP, have my own domain names and web hosting.

14. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Thanks Johnny ..... and for all the other advice. Finally figured "advance search" out. Sorry for the replication of topic :eek: