Mac / Xbox live connectivity

Discussion in 'Games' started by Smapdie0, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Smapdie0 macrumors newbie

I did see an earlier post related to this topic, but it didn't solve my problem, so here is my problem: I'm trying to connect my Xbox to my mac with a wireless connection (no direct connection possible - devices on different floors of house), but I don't know which brand/model of wireless game adapter will work with the mac. I bought a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router (model wrt54g), which is supposed to be pretty good. I apparently got that to work, so that's fine. But I discovered that my Wireless-G game adapter (model wga54g) cannot be configured by a Mac--only PC (strangely, the router *can* be set up for mac on the linksys web site). What do I do? I tried to find info about which game adapters can be set up via mac and used with xbox live, but i'm not finding anything.

Can i simply buy the MS game adapter and expect that it will magically communicate with my Mac via the linksys router? Probably not, right?

Can anyone give me a roadmap to follow to get this set up with the right equipment and configured correctly?

Thanks, in advance, for any info.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I am very confused. Why does your xbox need to be connected with your mac? Draw a diagram of your set-up.

Is it something like this?:

Internet
    |
    Lynksis Wireless Router (wrt54g)
    /___________________\
    Mac (Via Airport)________Xbox (Via Xbox Wireless Adapter)

I thought the Xbox adapter can be configured by the Xbox itself.

3. Smapdie0 thread starter macrumors newbie

(take 2) I believe a diagram would look like this:

Floor one:
    Mac (with cable internet connection)
    |
    LinksysBroadbandRouter--

Floor two:
    |
    WirelessGameAdapter
    |
    Xbox

4. Golem macrumors 6502

Possibly the same setup as me.

Cable-Box->
    Router->
    Short ethernet cable to Mac

Way down the other end of a long thin 100 year old heritage listed house. Xbox and TV, Concrete walls and only 1 foot under the floor between me and sand. But I allready know my airport does not work with the heartbeat on the cable so i have given up for now.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

This makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. What is your point in networking your Mac with your XBox?

6. Smapdie0 thread starter macrumors newbie

"This makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. What is your point in networking your Mac with your XBox?"

Look, I'm almost totally ignorant regarding networking, or anything else computer-related for that matter, so maybe forgive me if I don't make complete sense. Bottom line is that I want to connect my Xbox to Xbox Live. I know that the mac isn't going to be processing any xbox data, but the problem i ran into was that the game adapter i bought had to be pre-formatted to work with the wireless router, but could only be preformatted on a PC. What wireless game adapter should I, a mac user, buy to communicate with my wireless router?

7. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Get the microsoft one. It works best. my frind has that one and he cnfigured it form his xbox. he also has no PC's, only macs.

8. devbone macrumors newbie

You Must directly wire the wga54g to the mac via an internal NIC

The wga54g comes with a web interface that can be accessed at 192.168.1.250. Ok so there are a couple of issues here. Unless you have a network bridge, you are going to have to bind an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx is 0-254 sans 250 ) to your internal NIC. (netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.255, dont worry about DNS)

Since the "installer" software is PC only, you will have to use the web interface that is on the card. Once you have a statically bound an IP to your NIC and plugged your Linksys WGA54G power supply into the wall and plugged the cat 5 (network) cable into the network jack on your computer, you can open your favorite web browser and type http://192.168.0.250.
    The login screen will appear and type "admin" for the password. There is no username. You can then used the WGA54G's web utility to set up the access point for your airport wireless system.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Either try what devbone says, which will work, or return the linksys and buy this. It is configurable from the xbox dashboard.

It made sense to me...

10. senseibiz macrumors regular

I purchased the xbox game adapter, but it would not work with my Airport Extreme Base Station. I called Microsoft, they told me that It does not work with AEBS. anyway, I did the Following.

Cable --> AEBS --> Linksys Game Adapter --> Xbox.

Note: Turn your security feature off on the AEBS.
    Then turn the dial on the Game adapter to "IN" .

Thats it.. This has worked for me for about a year now.

hope this helps..

Sensei

11. Gee macrumors 65816

I had a similar problem finding a wireless bridge that didn't need a PC to set it up when trying to connect my playstation. Eventually bought a d-link one (dwl-810 I think), which was a bit of a pain to set up, via a browser window, but worked fine after that. The only annoying thing was that I couldn't get it to play ball with wep security.

However, I replaced it recently with an airport express, which was a lot eaier to set up, can do wep no probs, and can stream music to the stereo at the same time as letting the playstation connect to the online servers. Smart, no?

12. {not a geek} macrumors newbie

Direct Connect?

what about connecting directly through the modem and not the macintosh?

i've tried... but i think i'm just retarted :( can anyone give me a walk through?

(Main Problem) = "The network gateway could not be reached. Verify the IP Addresses match the settings provided by your ISP."

How do i find what my ISP is providing??

If ANYONE has any suggestions or helpful tips then please e-mail me at TheKingHlaluu@aol.com

also.. how do i know if an IP address is availiable? do i guess? or do i just look on the internet for some?

oh and btw, it DOES recognize that my cables are connected... but from there on i'm screwed :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

13. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I had a wireless microsoft adapter for my xbox, and had it connected to my airport extreme base station. it worked. DON'T GO WIRELESS WITH THE XBOX... IT CAUSES LAG (i think, but i only had 256k at the time so that could have been the issue).

You should connect the xbox to the lynk-sis(sp) router. Most Lynksis stuff has at least 4 ethernet router ports. It should be plug and go (assuming that you've given that router access to the internet [thereby allowing other wireless clients to access the internet]).