1. niter macrumors 6502

My .Mac subscription runs out next month. I would like to continue it and though I am a student, my university does not provide the student discount on it (oh well). Anyways, I noticed that J&R is selling .Mac for $15 cheaper. Could I just buy that and use it to continue my membership? Is this possible?

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes. You can buy .Mac anywhere, then extend your membership with the code in the box. I bought .Mac for US$69 a while back, and it extended my membership by a year, no problems.

3. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

.Mac, Yes --- Another Issue...

OK, I'm waiting for my new 12" pB. I have a .Mac account that I purchased with my 12" iB.

My question:

Will I'll be able to use Virex on my new pB or will it only be on my iB?

Thanks for your time :D

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You should be able to use it on either - I use Backup on multiple Macs, for example.

Not that you need an anti-virus (yet).

5. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Thanks! DAAAAAMN that response was QUICK!

6. MacConvert2008 macrumors newbie

I'm a mac noob also and i'll have my 12" powerbook very soon... what is .mac and is it worth the money? thanks

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

.Mac is www.mac.com

Whether it's worth the money depends on the person. For many, it's not. For others it is. You'll have to look through what they offer, and determine for yourself.

8. gallivant macrumors member

If you're comfortable with the techiness involved, it's nearly always a better deal to just get inexpensive web hosting from someone. For a total of less than $100 a year, I've got a domain name, 100 e-mail accounts, and 500 megs of space I can use. For synchronization and bakcups, I can use anything that can FTP.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Really, Backup and the iDisk are the best, IMHO. The way they integrated the disk into Mac OS X kicks a lot of ass.

.Mac has a ton of fat though. They're always throwing in some lame new thing to sucker people in, when they really need to address the more important things like storage. Honestly, who really cares about 25% off some sttihy games?

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife has had .Mac for a couple of years now. It's great for her to post her pictures from iPhoto onto the web. A good way for her to backup. She also enjoys the games.