.mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ftrtrk, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ftrtrk macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a fairly new mac user and needed some advice.

Is doc mac worth it? I'm going to be buying a desktop but using other computers. With .mac I can access all my word files from any computer right?

I donno, It's just kinda consufing. Thanks!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

You will get a lot of people saying there are cheaper alternatives out there, and they're probably correct. Certainly cheaper online storage is available. I still keep my .Mac account because it seems to work more seamlessly for me than some of the other storage services I've tried (Including box.net). With the others I find I can't necessarily open a file or a dmg straight from the service without copying it to my Mac first, even when using webdav access. With my iDisk it just works from both my work and home Macs. The only downside apart from the cost is the limited 1Gig standard space. For cheap storage, Jungledisk is hard to beat - uses the Amazon S3 service with storage at 15c per GB per month.

3. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

I've been debating it also, but i gonna give it a whirl
    99 dollars for a year ehh.. if i dont like it i wont renew
    the main reason i havent signed up yet is i cant think of a
    username/email-addy i would use since if i liked .mac i would be stuck with it

oh and im still using iLife 05 so no iweb or send to .mac iphoto feature

4. *GG* macrumors regular

I think it depends on how much of a simpleton you are on whether it is worth it.

I am very much a simpleton, I like my life to be easy and that's why I like .mac For me it is simple for me to build a website on iWeb and press "publish" without even thinking how it happens to get on the internet. I put my podcasts on there. My main email address is with .mac so I get all my email that way now. I use Back Up to an external hard drive because I subscribe to .Mac - I have had it two years now - it is one of those things I just like having.

But, I know people who are a bit cleverer in computing things than me, and who enjoy fiddling about find other ways of doing what I want to do, but it requires a bit more effort.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Consufing! Awesome typo.

When you get a new Mac you get a trial version of .Mac so I would give it a trial run (2 month free trial) and then make your decision. I used the trial and found it to be a useful feature but didn't really need it and it didn't make that much of an impact on my computing.

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I used up my trial back in 2003, and waited until this year to sign up for a .mac; makes mail easy, considering I used to go through the whole Yahoo spam machine to read my messages, I have had zero spam since switching. Then there's the other extras, I feel I'm getting my moneys worth from it.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Sign up for the trail and try it out. I love it though--keeps all of my computers synced, and I love the online storage. Easy to publish webpages from other Apple apps too.

8. ftrtrk thread starter macrumors newbie

With iweb, what does a person's website address look like? What does a .mac e-mail adress look like?

Currently I use G-mail and I have a university e-mail, can I forward both of those to my .mac e-mail? And then I can forward that to the mail application on my mac right?

Also, how easy is it to put files on the account, is it just drag and drop, or what? And then when I go to access my word file or whatever I have in my .mac acount on my work PC, do I have to download the file, or does it just open up?

One last thing is back up. YOu don't have to have .mac to back up to an external hard drive right? What is the purpose of back up in .mac?

Thanks for all your help!

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The website is quite customizable with different themes and whatnot. The email address is: gimmeslack12@mac.com

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Buy it from Amazon or on eBay and save $20.

.Mac is great for me. I have all my email redirected there and kept in sync across my machines via IMAPing, but to the outside world, I am still sending and receiveing from my personalized domain.

It's also nice to have all my contacts, calendars and bookmarks synced across my desktop, portable and .Mac webpage without giving it a second thought. I just enter this data wherever I am, and .Mac handles the rest.

If you have more than one Mac, .Mac is fab.

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Ok, .Mac clearly states that I get 1Gb of storage space.. right?

Well why is it that i only have 512mb?

Attached Files:

12. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

1GB is the total combined storage of .Mac, so it looks like you have 512mb storage and 512mb email :)

To ftrtrk the best thing to better understand .Mac is to get the free trail :)

iDisk is treated like an external volume, so it shows up in Finder, as such yes it does have drag and drop.

Your email will be username@mac.com.

You can forward, but keep in mind Gmail has POP access, so it can be used in Mail :D

13. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

it says shared 1Gb. so that section is the total space of my .mac account. not one or the other. is this the same with everyone else?