1. niter macrumors 6502

With the offer of the Keynote themes, I am seriously considering .Mac. However, I just found out that I do not get the educational discount from my school. At $60, getting .Mac was for certain, but now for $100, I am not so sure.

I have a filebox at my school with 30 MB, so I know that once I leave school, I will definately want the .Mac account. I am accustomed to having an email account and filebox that I can access anywhere, anytime.

How worth it is .Mac? Worth $100? I have the free trial, and it seems really nice, but I am not familiar with it enought to know if it is $100 worth it.

Also, if I have a .Mac account, can I have more than one email address for it?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can only value the worth of .Mac yourself. You'll get different answers and arguements for everybody. I really only use the e-mail and backup. Sometimes I use the other stuff but not terribly much.

I look at it as paying $100/12 months = $8.33 a month for e-mail access.

You can have multiple e-mail addresses but it's like $15 or so I think for each additional one.

I like it for the free things that .Mac also gives you (Keynote themes being the most recent one) and the occasional discount (on KeyNote being the recent one). I like having it all intergrated into my iBook also. I could probably set myself up something similar for cheaper or free maybe by fiddling around with this and that but it works simply this way. And that's why I bought my Mac in the first place; so I don't have to fiddle around but can work instead.

3. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Silent Panda

The free things you get are they for signing up or a continual thing? That is, can you download the keynote themes even as an already exsisting user?

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have found .Mac really useful. I have two Macs, when I purchased my PowerBook last year, being able to automatically sync my address book, auto setup my e-mail and even sync my Safari bookmarks was very cool. It is so easy to create web pages with pictures of the family and video clips on the web using .Mac tools built into iPhoto and iMovie. I live in the UK, but I have members of my family all over the world. I got a 'free' copy of ‘The Sims’ when I renewed by subscription this year, which I was considering to buy anyway. Definitely recommend .Mac

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

They're a continual thing. Usually there is a window in which you can download them though. For instance you used to be able to download some solitaire game but can't anymore... so they cycle in and out. But it's not a "bonus for new people".

6. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

If you just want backup use Spymac, 100Mb of free web space is somewhat of a steal!