Macafee anti virus

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by abz1981, Feb 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Hi all my broadband supplier is giving me a free copy of macafee net protection plus anti virus. Any point in installing it as its free?

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

None at all. You do not need or want an AV package on your Mac.

3. macrumors 603

justperry

NO, leave that kind of rubbish/malware;) off OS X.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

4. macrumors 604

Nah, it'll just slow your computer down. Mac OSX doesn't need any sort of antivirus - It can hold it's own ;)

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks guy. well em i did install it just to check it out, but now i have uninstalled it. i have uninstalled it using the mcafee uninstaller that was in my applications in finder. How can i now be sure that, thats it and all mcafee files are now off my mac. Or should i just assume now its completely off my mac, since i used to uninstaller for mcafee?

6. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    tell him to flip off :cool:

7. macrumors 603

justperry

MCafee is a known company, they can be "trusted" to have an uninstaller which does it's job.
    You could try a search with spotlight, if it finds nothing you're OK.

Oh, and the reason I called it malware is because such software does "nothing" on OS X so I regard it as malware.

8. macrumors G5

Macman45

Groundhog day?...:)

9. macrumors regular

McAfee is a known company; known for abhorrent software.

Now, I've never used it on OSX but on Windows it always seemed to muck up the install & uninstall. Uninstall would leave folders & shared files scattered all around Windows. So many borked installs came my way I wrote scripts to clean up clients machines. All the 'OEMs' seem to love to install crap like McAfee trials. :sigh:

10. macrumors 603

justperry

I though they at least had a reasonable name on windows, seems like I was wrong, good to know they aren't any better than Symantec.

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey guys
    I have managed to delete all system related and plist ( i think its called) files in relation to this a/v software. managed to do this by following the other threads on this forum that talks about how to fully remove applications etc from a mac. I done this in additional to the uninstaller as well.

12. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very wise move. 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

13. macrumors 68000

Best Buy gave me a free copy of Kaspersky or something with my Mac. I threw it in the trash :)

14. macrumors member

I use Sophos, just in case. It doesn't seem to slow my 2012 air down at all.

15. simsaladimbamba

Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here, here and here.

16. macrumors member

Thanks.

Even though that report seems slightly one sided (though I must admit I only read the abstract, summary and conclusion because I don't understand much of the technical computer jargon) and it's a report on the Windows OS version.

I will remove it. Any suggestions on any alternatives?

17. simsaladimbamba

Common sense or if you really need to: ClamXav.

Look at the FAQ Mister GGJstudios linked to. I have used those steps for years and have not yet contracted any Mac OS X malware, and I tried via visiting all those sites, that are deemed to be the dark sites.

18. macrumors 604

You don't need an alternative - Mac OSX does not need any anti-virus software, cleaning software, maintenance software, etc etc...

19. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

i installed antivirus trial on my old macbook that was 5 years old to see how much it would actually pick up over the years and it didnt even find suspicious file. i then deleted it. not needed.