macam for usb webcam

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flalaw, Feb 24, 2007.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
    United States
    I need to get a webcam for my powerbook g4 so i can use skype. i read some other threads that said i might be able to use macam to get any usb webcam to work with my mac. i'm confused though b/c some posts said that macam won't work under tiger.

could someone clarify if i can use macam under tiger. also, any suggestions for a webcam that will work out of the box on my mac for under $100? From what i read in other threads the Quickcam Pro 4000 was mac comaptible. what's strange though is that the Quickcam Pro 5000 isn't listed as being mac compatible.
  2. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    Look on the Macam website to check which cameras are supported. Compatibility depends on the chipset used in the camera (the logitech 4000 and 5000 use different ones), and also how the chipset is reported to the operating system.
    It may also be possible to use a digital camera as a webcam, but it has to be the right one. Sony have a guide on their website showing how to connect to a pc with a video-in card. You'll have to Google for specific information on your camera (if you have one).
    Macam will work with Tiger. Some cams have a problem with Intel-based Macs apparently. Read the Macam website, and follow the link at the bottom of the page to the developer website. There is a discussion forum which answers a lot of questions.