macampX lite out

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, May 14, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Its no itunes but its small and it uses less CPU than itunes and it cocoa
    www.macamplite.com

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

3. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

well to tell you the truth about it
    Its kinda crappy compared to itunes, Only good thing is that it doesn't hog CPU apart from that its mediocre

4. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

This should be good for Powerbook owners? Yes? No? .. Less CPU power means longer battery life....

am i wrong?

5. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I like Apple, what can I say.
    Therefor I stick with iT.
    I love that app.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

uses about twice the RAM as iTunes though. id say its a POS.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Being a PB owner I'd rather have absurd memory usage than absurd CPU usage. :) This thing seems to have about half the CPU usage of iTunes, so it's a fair trade.

I wonder where all the efficient OS X MP3 players are. Even the one hyped to be heavily AltiVec-optimized (mpegToaster) uses 8% of the CPU on a 550MHz G4... whereas Xmms on my 550MHz K6-2 PC used less than half of 1% of the CPU (no joke). Talk about a disappointment when I then opened up top and iTunes read 26%. Ouch! Is this a compiler problem, or a programming problem, or a system architecture problem, or a plain developers-just-don't-care problem?

Alex

8. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Ok, I'm stupid. How do you see how much of the CPU is being used?:confused: I know how to see ram, but not Processor usage.

9. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Just open up a terminal and type "top -u" at the command line. The "-u" sorts the entries from highest to lowest CPU usage.

Alex

10. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Are you talking about OS X? I am using OS 9(at work)(where I am right now)

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Oh, yes, I'm talking about OS X... I figured that OS X is where you'd likely be running macampX. :) I'm not sure how to see per-process CPU usage in OS 9, or if it's even possible due to the way OS 9 is designed.

Alex

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ive never looked at that. pretty interesting. i tried it and with Mail, adium, mozilla, photoshop, and iTunes open. iTunes was the only apps using more than 2% and it was using 12%. that is pretty odd. without iTunes open top seems to be the biggest CPU user. photoshop will use up to 82% while doing something big but never goes over 15% when doing little things, and is usally under 1%. This was all on my iMac, on my g3 powerbook, iTunes uses like 20% (333mhz, 66mhz bus) top uses ~14% and nothing else uses more than 5%. in fact must tasks are below 1% on both iMac and powerbook.

this would make me think the problem is ONLY with iTunes as nothing else seems to use that much CPU. but i really am worried more about RAM than CPU usage on either my iMac or powerbook. both of em only have 512mb RAM and OSX eats that up easily after a few days uptime, making a restart necessary. i seem to get 3-4 hours on my powerbook no matter how heavily i use it so im not too worried about iTunes sucking up all the battery power.

something as ugly as Winamp shouldnt use that much RAM. i mean i thought web browsers were memory hogs, but this is ridiculous.

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

iTunes Extras

You must also remember that the "Sound Enhancer" feature, Crossfading, and Equalizer have to add to the CPU load. Am I mistaken in this logic?

14. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

winamp is available for the mac, but it is an alpha, and it is not os X compatible. But it uses very little resources.