Macbook 1.83 with 512MB upgraded to 2 ghz ram or 2.00 with 1 ghz ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DiscoStu2004, Jan 12, 2007.

1. DiscoStu2004 macrumors newbie

DiscoStu2004

Hi,

I was hoping to get some help. I am new to Mac’s and want to get a Macbook. I want to get it from Amazon (Have Gift Certificate)

I am debating if I should get the 1.83 MHz with 512 MB of ram and upgrade myself after to 2 GHz of ram.

Or

Buy the 2.00 MHz with 1 gig of ram.

The difference in price is about $200 bucks. I don't care about the extra hard drive space and the small bump in the processor. doesn't seem that important. I don't need the DVD-RW either.

If I buy either would I be able to sell the ram and get at least a small price?

I know ram is important to a Mac.

I really appreciate the help.

2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Don't count on being able to get anything for the RAM on ebay. Ebay's flooded with 256MB RAM chips from people doing exactly that. They're worth practically nothing.

3. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

First of all it's 1.83 Ghz with 2.00 Gb of ram... not 1.83 Mhz with 2.00 ghz of ram.

The 512Mb of ram that comes stock is worth virtually nothing and won't fetch much on ebay. You'd be better off holding on to it in case you need to send the MB in for service.

If I were you I'd go for the 1.83 with 2 gigs of ram, although it really depends what you are going to use it for. For general use the 1.83 with 2 gigs of ram will be faster then the 2.00 with 1 gig of ram. That's not always the case though, so it would help to know how you're intending on using the computer.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I will go for the 2ghz machine.

1gb of ram won't make huge difference. But you get the faster processor and superdrive. Two non upgradeable parts.

5. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Actually, it's 1.83 GHz with 2 GB. Gb would mean Gigabit, and I'm sure you mean Gigabyte, which means you want a capital B.

As for the OP's question... definitely get more RAM. The difference in CPU speed betweeen 1.83 and 2GHz is negligable, the difference between 512MB and 2GB is vast.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

go with the 2 ghz and superdrive. I used to have debates like this, and got the cheap one. A week later im trying to burn a cd and i need more space, (DVD!) Though you may noth think you need dvds i gaurantee you within 2 years youll be like an Ha, i almost didnt get this.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would also say to go for the 2GHz MacBook- you may not need a SuperDrive right now, but you may find that it could come in handy in the future.

But regardless of what model you go with (the 1.83GHz or the 2GHz MacBook) I would say to go with at least 1GB of RAM- 2GB if you can afford it. :)

8. DiscoStu2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

DiscoStu2004

Thanks for the Help

Thank you for the assistance.

Would it be easier to sell the 1 gig of ram (2 x 512MB) than the 512 (2 x 256MB)?

also

Do you think I shoud get Applecare?

Thanks again.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that you would have better luck trying to sell 1GB of RAM (2 x 512MB). :)

Yes, I would recommend that you get AppleCare for your MacBook. :)

10. NJuul macrumors 6502

Get the 2 Ghz for reasons already mentioned, but don't buy AppleCare. Yet.
    You can get AppleCare up until one year after your purchase, and if you have had no problems in that year, you're not likely to get any problems, and you shouldn't spend the extra money.
    Remember, AppleCare is an extended warranty that Apple profits on. That means that it is a waste of money for most people.