Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micqo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I'm considering to buy 2016 model of 12" MacBook and curious to know has Apple solved these known issues like dead keyboards, creaking lid hinges etc. ?

f0000000

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
My 2016 m7 MacBook (which is a great machine that i love otherwise) had stuck keys within the first 3 weeks and needed a keyboard replacement, so i guess they still have some quality control issues.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm considering to buy 2016 model of 12" MacBook and curious to know has Apple solved these known issues like dead keyboards, creaking lid hinges etc. ?
It's the same machine with a revised logic board. As for previous issues that the luck of the draw.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
My 2015 has worked flawlessly for over a year with one exception, I got a crumb under one of the key edges and had to clean it out so it would depress.

Great design and functionality.

Reactions: asfalloth

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
My 2015 has worked flawlessly for over a year with one exception, I got a crumb under one of the key edges and had to clean it out so it would depress.

Great design and functionality.

I was going to say something similar. I've had my 2015 (1.2 model) for a full year now and it is still flawless. Absolutely no regrets on this purchase, worth every penny.

Reactions: asfalloth

micqo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Thanks for answers. I just sold my 2015 model of MacBook and I changed it many times before founded 100% flawless. I'm little bit scaring to buy the latest if Apple have still these issues. Upcoming MacBook Pro could be interesting option.. Let's see which model I will prefer.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
When the rMB came out in 2015 I bought one at the Apple Store. Took it home, and I immediately noticed 2 defective keys. My Enter key was working like 15% of the time. Took it back to swap it out, didn't think much of it. Figured it was just a lemon.

Took the next one home; this new one not only had a couple of other defective keys, the hinge was creaking significantly. At this point I started believing that there might be some quality control issues so I held out for the Skylake model.

At least in my experience, I have had no issues whatsoever with my 2016 model. No creaking, all the keys are perfect, everything's good. As others have said, it really is just luck of the draw. But I believe Apple QA is smart enough to see the trends of returns for keyboard issues --there had to be thousands in the last year-- and to fix the issue in the manufacturing process.

Reactions: whySh1n

micqo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Well, I bought 2016 model of rMB a week ago, and I must say that there is a huge improvement to 2015 models. 2015 models, which I changed it about 10 times before I received 100% working MacBook. Now I have noticed that this year model is free from those all annoying things like dead keyboards, creaking hinges etc etc. what I got experience. 2016 model keyboard is different - it feels so good to write. The whole keyboard area is much assertive.

If you're happy with your 2015 model I'm not recommend to change it because I think this model (1.2/512) is quote similar what last year model, maybe this is a little bit quicker but the differences are small, so there is no relevant which model you own. Why I change it? Well, I always like to buy the latest model - it's just been my style since 2004. :rolleyes: :apple:

…edit… battery life is better :)

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
There is definitely noticeable performance improvement from the 2015 rMB to the 2016. If you don't have a Macbook, definitely get the 2016. However, there are a lot of insane deals on the high end 2015 version if you are on a budget and those still run pretty amazing as well.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Is the battery of the rmb 2016 degrading/fluctuating like that of the rmb 2015?

jmfangio

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
NorCal
Is the battery of the rmb 2016 degrading/fluctuating like that of the rmb 2015?
I just bought a 2016 M5 and sold my 1.3 2015. My 2016 consistently gets nearly 2x the battery life of my 2015.

The 2015 battery had degraded to 89%. I ran it as leaned out as I could (no flash, safari as the browser, only dropbox running in the background) and never got more than 6 hours. And, I was always concerned about it. I couldn't believe how fast it discharged. I felt like every time I look at the battery in the status bar it ticked down.

Thankfully, the 2016 is a completely different experience. I have it leaned out just the same as the 2015, but I get 10+ hours and never worry about it. Such a relief.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I was going to say something similar. I've had my 2015 (1.2 model) for a full year now and it is still flawless. Absolutely no regrets on this purchase, worth every penny.

Same here, 1 year, 3 months, flawless performance, zero regrets.

This is not my primary notebook, I use it maybe 90 days a year, only when I travel, make presentations, or have long meetings in board rooms requiring a computer.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.