Macbook 13 inch keyboard replacement keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by basit, Dec 24, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Recently whilst trying to clean under my keys, I managed to break the attachment piece as well at the clips on the underside of my cmd key.
    I've looked for hours on the internet to find replacement key parts and can only find those that look like the following:
    [​IMG]
    However my attachment looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any idea where I can get hold of the apple key and attachment that looks like the one I have?

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502a

That's the scissor that's under the command key (all keys) and you may be able to find another at an Apple store. These tiny plastic pieces can break and I believe the genius bar will have extras. The macbook keyboard uses about three or four different size scissors.

3. macrumors regular

lpshean

Right my L key keeps popping out just the right bit of it so for example if i don't press the whole L-key in the middle when typing, it slightly detaches to the right but remain attached on the left (if that makes any sense??)

Anyway its just really annoying me as i've tried to press it back in place and it looks like its stayed in place but if i don't press it down on the middle, it pops back up again!! Am i doing it wrong?

4. macrumors newbie

macfanatic2011

I'm having the same problem, There was something stuck under my Home key, I popped it up and the plastic thing broke :eek:, So now I have no Home Button, My end key is also loose.

Macbook 1.83Ghz 512 RAM White :D

5. macrumors regular

lpshean

Well mines the Black one and its so annoying!

Do you think i can just put a little glue on the edges so the cap sticks on the white bit?? It's just that annoying.. I wouldn't be bothered as much if it was the home key because you wouldn't use it as much (well not me personally! lol).. But i use L quite regularly and its really annoying as such.

6. macrumors newbie

7. macrumors member

We're the company that sells the replacement keys mentioned above. The scissor mechanisms for the special character keys are different from the mechanisms for the alpha / numeric keys. If you order a command key or any key, it comes with the correct scissor mechanism for that particular key. Any single keyboard will have multiple variations of scissor mechanisms depending on the key you are replacing.

...and No...do not use glue to put the keys back on...

8. macrumors 68030

My Macbook Pro 13" unibody spacebar key already had a shiny wear spot within 2 weeks after purchasing it. It's not finger oil because it won't wipe off.

I now am using a keyboard protector but want the key replaced. Any place have them less expensive than $9 each? Seems like the keys shouldn't cost more than a few bucks each, seriously $9 is ridiculous.

9. macrumors 603

rgarjr

Ths is normal wear get used to it.

10. macrumors 68030

After only 2 weeks use? I have desktop keyboards that don't show this even after a years use.

11. macrumors 65816

go return it and get a new one and use the keyboard protector on the new one tbh

12. macrumors 68030

Can't return it to Amazon for that, without paying the shipping cost.

13. macrumors 65816

id make up a reason tbh.. the keys shouldnt wear that quick

14. macrumors 68030

Luckily I was able to get Amazon to replace my Macbook Pro. Now to figure out how to delete all my info on this one, to send back it to them.

15. macrumors 65816

just use the restore disc and wipe it out

16. macrumors 68030

Restoring doesn't ensure all my data is completely erased from the hard drive.

17. macrumors regular

No, it doesn't. Disk util does give security options for wiping data, which I believe should be available when you boot from the install dvd. Whilst in the past I was led to believe the 7 read/write method was sufficient, some recommend 35 (crazy hey?) passes for truly sensitive data.

18. macrumors 68030

I ended up getting Amazon to refund a percentage of my original purchase price, instead of replacing the entire Macbook Pro. This makes it things easier. You have to love Amazon!