Macbook 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikefly, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm considering buying a macbook 13" ..

What are the odds that the price of this machine will drop (more than $50) after the san fran expo?

Also, does anyone feel the machine has shortcomings?

FYI -- I'm switching from PC.

Thanks,

Mike

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Apple typically does NOT drop prices on their hardware (you can even see evidence of this if you check out their refurb store and see machines that are a couple of models old and still sell for almost their original retail price). Instead, they tend to include a couple more new features or whatnot.

3. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, iLife 'o7 should be released at MWSF, which costs something like $79 to buy, so if you wait a few days you'll get new software... I think that alone is worth the few days wait.

I don't think the hardware will change very much... if anything it would probably be a RAM or hard drive upgrade, but keeping the same price (I assume). Maybe someone more knowledgeable in how apple thinks would be able to help more...

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

First, it's only a couple of days, so you might as well wait to see if they introduce something amazing at the expo.

Second, whether it's good enough depends entirely on what you plan on doing with it. Basic boring things (internet, email, word processing) are fine, but it's not going to be a great games machine or good for intense video editing (iMovie won't be too bad, though.)

edit: If you're switching, give yourself at least a week of just using OS X to get used to it. Don't put Windows on it straight away, or you'll never get properly into OS X.

6. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

shortcomings

first off, apple prices hardly ever drop. they release a new model and discontinue the old one. maybe a refurb?
    the shortcoming of the MB is only 2 things.
    SPEAKERS- hands down the worst of any aple notebook to date. I can hardly hear them in a reletivly quiet room
    INTEGRATED GRAPHICS- this is not a gaming machine. despite anyone saying you can play games... not really
    Thats it
    otherwise a very nice solid machine
    Andreas

7. firefoxnx macrumors member

firefoxnx

its better to hold off till tuesday, its only a matter of few days.

what do u intend to use it for?

8. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

Wow - crazy fast responses!

Thanks for all the advice!

My gaming needs would be slim, and sound is not a big factor, though it would be nice...

The main issue is that I'm probably leaving the country next Friday, and want to fill up my new nano! (perhaps a foolish buy as I see the iPhone is due out soon)

If announcements are made Monday, how long will it take for apple stores to catch up?

If new software/hardware is offered - will prices actually go up, or will the stuff be bundled for free? (likeliest scenario)

Thanks,

Mike