MacBook 2,1 Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mi.mac.rules, Mar 2, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Up until a little while ago, maybe a few weeks, my white MacBook (late 2006) had 100% battery health (and, according to coconutBattery, >100%). Now, it's been wavering between just over 50% and 99% but just stopped wavering and is stuck below 55%. I know it's two years old, but it just stopped being my amazing Mac and was wondering if there's any chance the Apple store would give me a new one? I know they've done similar things for the same model for people who have had problems with their batteries. Should I buy a new one now or wait and ask the Apple Store? I don't get many chances to go, because I'm at college, and since I'm going home this weekend, I was wondering if anyone thinks I should just order a new battery or wait to ask the store. Normally, I'd wait and go to the store, but I don't know if there's any hope this time for my battery. :( I love my MacBook (upgraded the hdd and to Leopard, and it's been amazing to me for it's long life).

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Given the age you're more than likely going to have to buy a new battery.

3. thread starter macrumors member

:( that saddens me. Do you think I should hold on to my old one for a short-life backup or recycle it with Apple?

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd use it for a backup until it's dead.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks.

Before I post a new thread, do you have any idea if my 2,1 can support any more than 2gb of memory?

6. macrumors 65816

logana

Nope - 2GB is your max....

Try phoning Apple about your battery - if your cycles are less than 300 then there is an extended replacement "thing" on MacBook batteries for your age of machine.....

7. Guest

I have the same MacBook2,1- it actually supports up to 3.3GB of memory. If you buy two 2GB RAM sticks, it's the best you can do.

8. macrumors 68000

Correct. I went with 2x2GB RAM sticks recently. Windows XP recognizes the full 4, I believe. I was using up a lot of memory, so I figured if I upgraded from 1 GB, might as well go all the way. Wasn't that expensive anyway.

9. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3 year old thread

10. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My MacBook's new battery appears to be deteriorating faster than the original one. It actually reports a percentage lower than 100%! Then again I have put more than twice the cycles on it (62)

11. macrumors P6

Intell

I know this is an old thread, but Windows will see 4Gb just like Mac OS X, but it will still be limited to 3.3Gb. The limit is at the hardware/firmware level, not at the OS level.

12. macrumors newbie

Replacement battery MacBook 2.1

Can anyone suggest a good place to look for a replacement battery for my MacBook 2.1 (2007).

My university computer store quotes $139 as the price. Is there anything cheaper out there?

13. macrumors G3

You could try Other World Computing - it looks like most MacBook batteries are about $100.