macbook + 24" display + HDV

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by flahiker, Aug 17, 2006.

1. flahiker macrumors member

Does anyone know if a macbook (loaded with ram) can drive a 24" display and edit HDV 1080i video. The video would be on an external hard drive, probably USB.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It should be more than capable. After all, my 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro can handle it, and a 'loaded' MacBook should do just as well. (The only possible problem is using an external hard drive. I haven't tried that.)

3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Yes it will work just fine. But you should use a firewire drive instead of USB to prevent dropped frames when previewing.

4. flahiker thread starter macrumors member

Do you edit HDV? iMovie, FCP or express?

I was planning to use a macbook rather than a powerbook, because the $700 price difference. That is half way to buying the Sony HCR-3 HDV camcorder.

Also I did not think the internal hard drives in either the macbook or macbook pro were fast enough or had enough capacity for editing. I know that HDV is approximately 11G / hr.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I would suggest not using the internal drive to store your media, and HDV is pretty much the same data rate as MiniDV so storage requirements are the same.

Lethal

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, USB is total crap for video. The MacBook SHOULD be able to hand HDV faily well...