MacBook 2Ghz, 512RAM - Time to Upgrade!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XP Defector, Feb 22, 2007.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I need to keep an eye on my expenditure, so I'm going for the 1Gb option rather than the 2Gb. I was just wondering if I could use a 1Gb card with a the supplied 256Mb which was shipped by Apple with the MacBook?

2. Comawhite macrumors newbie

The answer is:

It is possible, but it will not give the best results! :(

3. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

How about just removing the 2 x 256 and inserting a single 1 GIG stick?

4. acoustics940 macrumors member

5. WillMak macrumors 6502a

6. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys!

EDIT, just ordered a 1Gb - will the difference be drastic?

7. jasylonian macrumors regular

when i was buying RAM, i was told that the core duo chips function best when the chips are paired up. for example, 2x256, 2x512, etc. of course, i could just be silly.

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

You're right, it is recommended to have matching pairs but a few run unmatched MB of RAM and seems like it works fine.

9. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, hopefully it is only a temporary fix untill I can install another 1Gb stick. Then I'll be flying :D

Anyone running 1.25Gb RAM care to comment on performance?

10. dynetk macrumors newbie

1.25GB should work fine. Only thing is you're running in single channel. If you have a matched pair you have dual channel meaning 2x the memory bandwidth. Remember that with the Macbook the graphics chip shares your memory bandwidth with your CPU. A single memory stick or two that do not match will only run in single channel. Since you already bought it you should run at 1.25GB. I doubt you'll notice a decrease in performance since the increase in memory from 512MB to 1.25GB should more than make up for it. Single channel memory is still much faster than a hard drive.

11. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response. I never realised matched pairs made that much difference - I assume I should upgrade the 256Mb to a 1Gb card as soon as is possible?

12. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

If you're going for matching pairs it should be like this:

2x256MB - 512MB (which you have now)
    2x512MB - 1GB
    2x1GB - 2GB (Maxed)

I don't know what you spending limit is, but I picked up 2x1GB sticks from Newegg for around $250 shipped. I know OWC sells memory but I don't know if it's any cheaper or not. Hope that helps.

300th Post.

13. gollum macrumors regular

I just picked up 2 x 1gb sticks of G.Skill for $142 from Newegg for 2 GHZ MB, it is coming down !!! Big difference in performance from the 2 x 512 mb that came with it.

14. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

For the love of god, the matched sticks have no effect. OSX DOES NOT UTILIZE DUAL CHANNEL RAM. You have to buy a PC to enjoy that ;)

You people need to stop talking out of your ass. You don't take a performance hit going from 1gb to 1.25gb just because the sticks aren't matched.

15. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Apparently you didn't read anything that was posted after your comment on this thread.

Anyways, you should be the one who needs to stop talking like you know it all.

See below:

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Wow, quoting off the Apple manual - way to go. The motherboard architecture utilizes 128bit memory bandwidth, which is at a higher throughput then 64bit (aka single channel). However, OSX does not see any benefit from the 128bit throughput due to the manner in which it was originally programmed (when G4's were using ddr 133)

You don't know what you're talking about and think you're a genius for quoting Apple's website. Why don't you see if you actually know what you're talking about before trying to act like a big boy.

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

And CanadaRAM is authoritative :rolleyes:

Not saying that he isn't, but some of his posts about guaranteed Mac compatibility and other similar posts, well, to put it in a non offensive manner lets just put it this way. He sells ram for Macs, he is putting his money where his mouth is.

Dual channel configuration is not significant. At worse it is like 5%. Barely significant. And no that is not a figure I am pulling out my ass, you can go to Anandtech or tons of PC performance benchmarking sites and see how systems perform with dual channel and without.

Sometimes they don't even make a difference.

18. acoustics940 macrumors member

Remember your computer knows that you are using a stick of offbrand ram and a stick of apple ram it can read the labels!!! That means it will blow into smithereens!!!!!!!:eek:

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Dual channel DOES have an effect but not significant to notice any gains in performance. You stated no effect. I said it was recommended, not required.

I don't need to stoop down to your level with the name calling ;)

EDIT:
    Barefeats

BareFeats tested a Mac mini 1.66 Core Duo (which has the same motherboard and GPU as the MacBook) using matched and unmatched pairs of memory. (2 x 1GB vs 1GB + stock 256MB).

Summary:

"The Intel mini seemed only slightly affected by unmatched memory pairs until we ran Quake 3. In that test, matching memory was 51% faster. We recommend matching memory of either two 512MB modules or two 1GB modules. Just booting up the mini and doing nothing else consumes 270MB, so two 256MB modules just doesn't cut it."

So unless you plan to play 3D-intensive games, unmatched memory will have a negligible effect on everyday tasks.

Also from Macworld

So again, there is a difference but not noticeable for everyday use. Though you may not see a difference in your MBP, MB owners may notice a difference if they play 3-D intensive games due to the GPU.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

21. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

I just ordered 2GB from Fry's and i will do some benchmarks (as well as test it extensively in real world usage) on my Macbook between 1.5GB and 2GB dual channel.

I'm hoping not to notice any difference, because then i can use 1.5GB and have 1.5GB in my Dell 9300 as well.