Macbook (3,1) Battery Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trickyur, Oct 10, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

My Macbook won't charge at all. I have two power cords (original and one that came with a friends Macbook Pro purchased earlier this year) -- both experience the same issue:

When charger is plugged in, the green light turns on (on the charger) but the battery doesn't charge. I can use the computer fine while the computer is connected to the charger, it's just when I remove the charger, the computer shuts off. My battery says it is at 0% and I have done the following things:

- Applied the MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 (when I went to install it said I do not need this update).
    - Reset the SMC.
    - Shut down the mac in every which way.
    - Reset the mac.
    - Took out the battery
    - Made sure there is nothing interfering or dirty on the magsafe connector

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Version OSX 10.5.8

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Whats the battery cycle count? Whens the last time you replace the battery? if the battery is the one that came with the Mac, then you will need a new one

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. Check the number of cycles and your battery health. It's likely time for a new battery, if you haven't replaced it before.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. macrumors 6502

GGJ always has the best advice :) but yes, the same thing happened to me. My battery quit holding a charge.. It's just an old battery! Order a new one on Amazon, that's where I purchased mine and it was much cheaper then what the Apple store tried selling it to me for!

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess it's the battery...

Turns out my Battery Health is 0%, I've had 753 Cycles...guess it's about time for a new battery, huh?

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. It sounds like you got your money's worth out of it.