Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjgillen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Solana Beach, CA
Hello all,

I've searched around but haven't found a cure. I have a MacBook 4,1 2.4GHz 2GB RAM running 10.6.6 and the keyboard and trackpad don't work. The power button does so I can turn it on but no joy on kbd/trackpad. I have swapped it out with two other known good keyboards but nothing has helped. I have checked Boot ROM and SMC versions and they are all up to date. I have done an SMC reset but cannot to a PRAM reset as the keyboard does not work.

One other note - I reinstalled 10.6.3 from scratch (erased hard drive) and when it booted into the OS it said I did not have a keyboard connected at all and that I needed one connected. I connected one and it boots to OS but still does not recognize the on-board keyboard. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

mjgillen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Solana Beach, CA
OK I connected an Apple USB keyboard and was able to do a PRAM reset and still no joy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Could be the ribbon cable or, sorry to say, the port on the logic board that it connects to. Can you run hardware test from the original restore discs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.