MacBook ^ 6 HOURS

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MRU, May 17, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just thought I'd let you know what Apple claim for battery life. That 1.5 hours more than the macBookpro.....

2. fredwards macrumors member

Just keep in mind that this is on low settings with Airport and Bluetooth off. It's a great number, but if I am wireless, Airport will likely be on too.

Still I'm sure it will improve upon the MBP based upon the claimed 25% increase by Apple :D

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hey if it gets upto 4 with airport and half brightness I'll be happy.

I remember buying one of the first Sony Vaio laptops with P3, it managed an hour at best and the machine fell apart within a year....

4. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

You will never see 6 hours of TRUE battery life with any of apple's portables. I have never seen the battery power display a constant 6:00+ time. I think you will generally get about 4 hours of use on a single charge with a light work load + apx on.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Hopefully it is the same or better as the old iBook (which was also listed as 6 hours.) That one does great, no reason why the MacBook should be worse I guess (since rated the same.)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, it basically sounds like it will be about the same as the iBook 12" is....

7. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I get pretty good battery life on that, so I think the Macbook's battery life will be very reasonable.

8. Ozu macrumors newbie

It might get close

I used to spend a lot of time working off battery on my Powerbook G4, and could generally get about 4 hours of battery life out of it by sitting somewhere really dark and dimming the screen to the lowest level I could bear.

I bought the first MacBook they sold at the Pasadena Apple store yesterday morning and have been working on it ever since. While I haven't put it through any serious tests yet, one kind of obvious thing about the battery is that it's huge, roughly twice the size of the batteries on iBooks and 12" G4 Powerbooks. I would expect it to pack significantly more power than the tiny batteries on the earlier computers.

9. Ozu macrumors newbie

Just to add...

Just for laughs, I unplugged my MacBook just now and set the screen brightness to the second-lowest bar. When I first unplugged it, the power indicator on the menu bar estimated a time remaning of 5:09. I've been working normally for about ten minutes since then (all I'm doing is text entry and editing), and it now estimates 5:39.

10. Ozu macrumors newbie

An hour later...

I've been running on battery for an hour and fifteen minutes now, and the indicator on the menu bar now says I have 4:44 left. I actually need to go offline soon so I can't keep it running for five or six hours straight to see where it dies today. But thus far it looks to me like the MacBook has measurably longer battery life than the G4 powerbook did.

11. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

yah they say 3.5 hours with airport on...

12. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

haha yah i was noticing, thats probably what causes most of the weight...