MacBook - advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackbenimble4, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. jackbenimble4 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Providence, RI
    #1
    I have an 12 inch iBook g4 right now that I'm looking to replace. I'm been leaning heavily towards the black 2 ghz MacBook with 160 gb hard drive, and 2gb ram. Money is definitely an issue, but that MacBook would just about be at the top of my budget range.

    The buyer's guide says to buy, but soon enough it will be mid cycle. Also, with Leopard and iLife 07 just months away, I'm teetering on the edge of buying and waiting. To make things even harder to decide, whenever I get my new mac, I'm buying Final Cut Express too. Right now there's an awesome deal to save $200 when you buy a new mac. It ends at the end of March I think.

    If I wait until the end of March, it'll already be so close to the Leopard release, if not already released, and considerably closer to the next notebook update.

    Any advice?
     
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #2
    Will you use it now? If there are things you'll accomplish between now and then that will be substantially facilitated by it, just go get it.... if you're just upgrading to give in to lust (oh, admit it, we all feel it), then wait as long as you can. ;)
     
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #3
    Why not go with a white 2GHz MacBook to save some cash? :)
     
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #4
    in your case, it doesn't seem like you need one right away. i'd wait for the new software to be released and then buy. and if you can afford the black MB, i'd suggest going for the white one and upgrading the RAM.
     
  5. redmeister macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    #5
    i was in the exact same dilemma as you a week ago (but with 120 gig hd)... same model otherwise. i went ahead and bought it basically because upgrades will be continuosly happening. think of it this way, you wait until ilife and leopard come out... and the youre like "hmm, should i wait for the next chipsets to come out" (i forget what theyre even called, santa rosa or something). basically, its always going to be something else on the horizon so just go ahead and purchase it unless the thing that is coming out is something you HAVE to wait for or something you absolutely NEED. i life and leopard would be great and all but the software out right now is pretty damn good itself too. just my 2 cents. good luck in your decision !
     
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #6

    Good point redmeister, you could end up waiting forever if you are always are waiting for the "next big thing". :)
     

Share This Page