Macbook Air 11.6 cooling pad

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alexyalexy, May 8, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hy there, i'm new here and i recenty got a MBA 11.6 and i installed bootcamp to play some games(like Minecraft or GTA San Andreas) and when i play those games my GPU temperature goes up to 90-95, my fan died after a few days. I sent it to Apple Service(i'm from Romania) and soon it will be back home repaired.

Are there any good cooling pads for my MBA 11.6 because I don't want to happen this again?

2. macrumors 65816

That shouldn't happen. I'd say, once you get your fixed MBA back, it shouldn't happen again. I've played games on my MBA for hours at a time and the GPU temp has gone over 100°F for hours at a time and my fan works fine.

What happened to your MBA was not normal. So, do not buy a cooling pad, give it a second chance, and if the same thing happens again, I'd suggest you call Apple and ask them for a new machine as a replacement for your current one as it would have been the second time that the same problem has happened.

So, once again, don't buy a cooling pad when you get your fixed MBA back, just give it another go and see how things play out.

Good luck! :)

3. alexyalexy, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer, i will test out the macbook as soon as it comes(3-4 days) and i will reply how it is.

PS:When i said the teperature i wanted to say in Celsius, 90-95 C means 194-203 F

4. macrumors 6502

what exactly happened to your fans? did they just stop working?
    i'm also around 90 degrees C when on games, and i'm worried what might happen regarding the fans.
    in terms of getting a cooling pad, i'd wait and see what temps you're hitting on your new air, and if you're still in the 90's, look into it.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I was playing GTA 4 for around 10 minutes and quickly the game frozen for 5 seconds then retunred to normal. Next day i turned my MBA on to play Minecraft, the game worked good untill the fan stopped quickly, I turned off the Mac let it half an hour then turned it back on and the fan was working, when i started to play games again the fan stopped, then i thought it may cause the problem Windows so i switched on Mac OS and also it was not working. I see after that the fan only stops if i play games. I used the MBA only for internet while the fan was working, after 5 days the fan died.:(

6. macrumors 6502

thats the problem with putting a computer into something very thin, a lot of heat i guess. i'd avoid a cooling pad unless you're using the air with a monitor (so its just sitting stationary under a desk). i think it'd ruin the appeal of it if i had to carry around a cooling pad. all up to you though of course

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Your right, i will see how it will work when it arives home and then reply.

8. macrumors 6502

alright, good luck mate. hope it works out.

9. macrumors 65816

Oh, well, that's even more normal. My MBA easily get's to 190°F or higher when gaming, and then when I quit out of the game, the fans keep going until the CPU/GPU is cooled down enough which usually takes 2 minutes or less. The highest I've seen it get to is 194°F (90°C) after playing Portal 2 for almost 3 hours, but it quickly cooled down back to 110°F (43°C). When gaming these laptops do heat up pretty quickly, but they also cool down very quickly.

Completely normal.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

I just recived my MBA and played GTA IV for like 2 hours and nothing happend. Seems that i don't have any problems now. :D

11. macrumors 6502a

Cooling pad won't work with MBA's as the bottom is sealed... the airflow is coming through the keypad, not the bottom... you might get a fan control program like SMC to manually turn your fans up when playing games, I believe you can crank as high as 6K rpm.

12. macrumors 65816

See, I told ya. :)