Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Throw Out

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Germany/Brazil
Hello Guys,

I have a small question, I recently purchased an Alienware M11x R3.
Only 04 Months Old,

Settings:
Processor: 1.4GHz Intel Core i5 2537M
Memory: 4GB, 1,333MHz DDR3
Hard Drive: 500GB, 7,200rpm
Chipset: Intel QS67
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 540M 1GB

Someone offered me a MBA 11", with Basic Settings.

Would you trade?

The MBA is also only a Few months old, under warranty.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Are you a gamer? Then probably not. Do you need more storage space than 64 GB? You can pick up a refurtb base 11" MBA from apple with full warranty for $749. How does that compare with the value of your present machine?

Throw Out

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Germany/Brazil
Are you a gamer? Then probably not. Do you need more storage space than 64 GB? You can pick up a refurtb base 11" MBA from apple with full warranty for $749. How does that compare with the value of your present machine?

I was really confused between the Alienware and the MBA.
I bought the Alienware because the settings were better.

But I haven't even installed a Game on it yet. So I really never use the extra power.

I'm just a casual surfer,

I paid 900 EUR, For the Alienware.

The Macbook Air Basic here in Germany costs 1049 EUR.

So money isn't the problem.

I'm just scared that 04GB of Memory and 64GB of HD wont do it for a long enough period.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U are confused because the specs are similar, EXCEPT the Alienware with its own discrete graphic is designed for GAME PLAYING. The Ad says so.

If you are casual surfer (light duty) then either one will work.

So it all comes down to YOUR PREFERENCE.

You have no preference whatsoever? Do u LOVE alienware's spaceship look? U don't feel anything for the Super-thin Mac? Comeon, let that right brain come forward and speak! :)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Stick with what you have already

I'd keep the Alienware. You likely have a number of Windows programs, and you would have to buy all new Mac versions if you went with the MBA. You would also have to learn a new way of doing everything, which would be a pain for a while.

The HD is another issue. I get by easily with my 128gb on my MBA, but 64gb is just inadequate, unless you already have a cloud storage workflow that you are happy with and can adapt to the MBA right away.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge MBa fan, and love my 2009 MBA. But in your case, I would stick with what you already have. You could start looking at what your next computer would be, and when you are ready to convert over, sell your Alienware (for probably a good price) and use it to buy a MBA with slightly better specs.

danielsemper

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Take the MBA.

you will know a new world of portability and comfort. Dont worry about softwares, you can download almost anything for MAC.

And in a long term, the MBA will be easier to re-sell than an old Alienware.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Trade

I would say trade for the Air

If your not into gaming and casually use your computer than the Air is perfect.

I have the 2010 11" base model and frankly I have 2 gigs maybe filled but that's because I use my phone a lot and tablet.

I also have a new 2012 MBA 13" with 256GB but I have nothing on it.

The resale value on the Airs are wonderful. I tried selling my 11" and was offered $400. I bought it for $900 two years ago. I don't know many computers let alone electronics you can get 44% back of the original retail price.

I actually kept the laptop and gave it to my girlfriend who is constantly on her phone so she just uses it to surf the web. Plus I find Macs to look more professional compared to gaming computers with all their lights.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The base air can still run diablo3 and Starcraft 2, so it's still not a total loss. Don't be fooled by the seemingly low ram, the 2011 airs remain powerhouses in their own right. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.